1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's it really like to be gay and in the military

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kaiken, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the last few years I've felt the desire to join the military. I've been at my current job now for over 6 months but it isn't right for me. I want advancement and there is nowhere to go where I'm at. I also want a job that will provide for me financially. I've done the research and the health benefits, housing, and retirement are all really good. And since the "Don't ask, don't tell" has been repealed it seems that the military has become more gay friendly or at least more gay-tolerant.

I want to join the Air Force. I am openly gay. Has anyone gone through this or has first hand experience on how gays are really treated in the military. I take my ASVAB at the end of this month and I am very excited, I just want to know what sort of reception I can anticipate. I am not flamboyantly gay, but if someone point-blank asks me I am not afraid to tell them.

So my question is how tolerant is the military really of sexual orientation?

Any advice, experiences, or words of encouragement would help. Thanks.

2. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From what I understand, the military has never been tolerant of gay men.

3. AKTodd

While I've never been in the military, I live in an area with a huge military population and have seen quite a few news stories about LGBT in the military and talked to a fair number of LGBT folks, both active and former. Based on what I've seen, my thoughts on this break down as follows:

Navy: even under DADT, lots of people in the Navy, especially the Medical side of this, to the point where it seemed to be something of an open secret/conventional wisdom that a lot of Corpsman (medical staff) were gay. Since end of DADT, people seem very open (volunteering at the local LGBT center, marrying their same sex spouse, etc.) and no one seems to care.

Marines: Conventional wisdom is that if you give a Marine a clear objective, they will make it happen, end of story. The Marines seem to have followed this approach in the run up to repeal of DADT and afterward, with lots of training, changing process and procedure to accommodate same sex spouses, and making it clear that associated civilian groups (spouse support organizations, etc.) are expected to do the same. There have been a lot of news stories about gay Marines proposing and getting married, bringing same sex dates to official functions, etc. Which may say something about the Marines, or about the news media paying more attention to them, because they are the Marines.

Army: based on news stories I've seen, plus some comments from members here, my sense is that the Army has been slower to change and is more conservative in its attitudes, especially in areas like the infantry. This is not to say they don't follow the same rules, but that attitudes may be less accepting there. It may also mean that the Army just isn't getting the same press. All of these organizations are huge and people are different everywhere.

Air Force: I don't recall seeing specific news stories about LGBT and the AF, but have seen some about a large conservative religious element appearing at the Academy, to the point where there has been concern expressed about separation of church and state and such. This was a bit ago and steps may have been taken to address the issue. Also the Academy isn't the whole AF, and the rules are on your side. More research is probably in order.

Coast Guard: haven't read or heard anything relating to them one way or the other.

Of course, all of this is just anecdotal, and hopefully others with more direct info will weigh in. And do your research online and maybe reach out to the HRC and other LGBT organizations, especially any that are focused on service members and/or local to major concentrations of the military, particularly the branch you are interested in.

Hope this helps,

Todd

4. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, it does help a lot. I will continue to do my research on this subject.