1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need life advice College Ed.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by luckycar, Feb 18, 2015.

1. luckycar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This discussion is mainly for the more experienced members, but I will listen to anyone.

I don't even know where to begin so I guess I'll start right here.

How did all of you get from where you were to where you are and what helped you to make those decisions? Right now in my life I feel that I am wasting a lot of time. I went to college for a couple of years for a major that I was not really interested in and graduated with an associates degree. Apparently there was some type of miscommunication between the school and I about the transfer program and it turns out that only a small fraction of my credits will transfer to a four year school. It looks like I was given a chance at a fresh start to pursue whatever path I choose. But therein lies my massive dilemma and constant headache. What do I go back to school for? I am lost and I have no idea what to do. How did all of you choose what you became when you grew up? Is there any sort of professional guidance or counseling that I can seek out?

#1 luckycar, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. Incredibull

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most schools have a lot of counseling and guidance towards various career paths. You could also tur the college departments and ask some of the professors what gets them excited about what they do. That is what helped me appreciate a new field was to ask around especially to those who are passionate about it. But, as for me I asked myself what do I feel is the most honorable thing to do, which I decided was to serve humanity and commit to understanding. Then I jotted down some of my interests and qualities that I admire in the work place, health, science, creativity, hands on work. I came to the conclusion to become a surgeon. After some shadowing and volunteering in the hospital I never felt more connected and purposeful, now I am dedicated to becoming the greatest surgeon to ever master the craft.

As for advice, make a list of what you wanna do and who you would like to become. No matter how crazy it sounds or impossible you feel it is to achieve, puruse that which gives you passion. That if you had to work on a project for three days in a row without sleep, you would be excited to do so. For when you are passionate about something you bring forth more creativity and excitement into the field and therby making the world a better place. Feel free to explore as well, although I want to become a surgeon I am also studying biomedical engineering as a major, philosophy on my own time as well as spanish, and venturing out into a political atmosphere with clubs.

Ask around, make a list of what kinds of activities you wanna do in a workday, what kind of influence you would like to make, the various impacts on the world, and then follow your passion. And if that job doesn't exist, create it.

3. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually ended up doing something completely different than what I studied. Not all fields of study translate to a specific job description, and unless you want to go into medicine, research, or a very specific technical field like engineering or programming, changing career paths after college (or even getting a Master's in another field) is an option.

However ... I also transferred after a two-year school, and decided against the major I was most interested in mostly because I would have had to take a lot of prerequisites, increasing my study time by a year. I wish I had gone ahead and followed my first instinct, because I ended up in a similar field, anyway.

Are you already enrolled at a four-year school? A lot of them will let you change majors or even stay undeclared up to a certain point, and a lot of them have guidance counselors for the very exact problem you are facing.

4. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

This is funny because I just went over the same concerns with a 17 year old friend I have. He was in a panic because he doesn't have his life sorted out. You don't have to have it all figured out.

I lucked out with my path. A math teacher in Junior year of high school recommend I look into computer science degrees. It was either that or an engineering degree, specifically for automotive. So, when we went to the college fairs I was looking for either of those. Happened upon a nice school in PA (go Crusaders) and got a degree in 4 years for Computer Science and Information Systems. Most of the programming was done on a main frame, but the school got 18 IBM PC's my freshman year. So, a bunch of us got to be trained first in all the latest software, like Wordstar, dBase, and Lotus 1-2-3. Helped me with covering expenses as I was a tutor in all the math and computer classes my whole time there.

So, I've been in the software development field for 30 years now, touching almost every aspect of pumping out product year after year, month after month.....

I would list the activities and issues in the world that interest you, that you are most passionate about. Also your natural talents. That will let you know where you want to go.

How do you want to live as a person?

I would then see how you can make money utilizing those to achieve your ends. That will tell you what sort of education you require. And don't just think 4 year degree at college, some career paths DO NOT NEED a college degree. For instance in I.T., you can get by with certification specific to the needs of your local area.

List all the possibilities for stuff you want to do with your life. Go from there.

5. luckycar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry for the slow reply. I have had long shifts at work and did not have the time to respond.

To answer some questions:

I graduated from a very small private school and went straight to college with no thought or direction on my part. The small private school had no counseling and so I went to college for electrical engineering as I was told to do by my parents. I really didn't like it, but I continued doing what I was told. I finished the program in 2012 and then they decided for me to take computer engineering at the same two year school. While I was still in school I started working part time at a restaurant. After a year of computer engineering, I was finally fed up and quit school but I still had not learned my lesson. I worked full time at the restaurant until my parents signed me up for another program at a local trade union school. By this time I finally started to form my own thoughts and opinions. I barely made it a week before dropping out of that program and going back to the restaurant. Not long after that, the restaurant closed and I found my current job which is in sales. I don't mind the work, but I can't see myself doing this forever.

As far as pin pointing my interests and seeing where it goes is much more difficult than one would expect. It seems to me that only as of very recent that I have begun to really form any of my own original thoughts that were not a complete regurgitation of my parents ideas. I guess I can thank my coming out for that because it sure was not their plan for me. It seems that I may have some more growing up and soul searching to do before I make a decision. Could I have some type of developmental issue when it comes to forming my own thoughts and opinions because I still struggle with making up my mind pretty often.

6. luckycar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just wanted to update this thread. After taking a lot of time and working on myself to figure out what I wanted for myself, my future husband, and family, I have decided to be a pharmacist. I have already enrolled back in school right now and I am looking for an entry level pharmacy technician job. Thank you all for the support and helping me come to this decision. Things are getting better everyday and I have you all to thank for that.