1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get out there?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CyberScream, Feb 19, 2015.

1. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty much a social introvert in my community. Just a few things about me that might help you out. I don't like going to bars. Even gay bars. But how do I put myself out there? I've been to the gay bars and even then, I still feel like I don't belong there. Like, it's not my scene. I don't know if there is an LGBT group around here. I do know there are a couple LGBT churches... but not sure where. How do I get out?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, if you're an introvert, pushing yourself to do the crowd scenes is probably not going to work. look for smaller groups that you can be a part of. whether it's a church, and LGBT political action group, or charitable work, look for the small groups that you can be a part of.

4. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Try looking for LGBT specific groups/activities. Depending on what is available you can go for the ones that are suited to you as your first choices, eg if you like reading try to find an LGBT book group etc. If you drive and have the time you might also be able to look further afield as well.

I hope you have better luck finding something than I did, I suspect you will if you've already been able to find a couple of LGBT related things. I share your dislike of the bar scene and even if I was comfortable there, I don't drink and have mobility issues to contend with. The only LGBT groups I could find within my travel range were either youth groups, gay male or one lesbian running group, so none really suitable for me.

It probably varies from place to place, but I have noticed that in general there tend to be a lot more gay male members/specific groups than lesbian ones in most places, not sure why. (Bad news for me, good news for you :lol: ).

5. guitar

I'm not a fan of gay bars either. I'd check pflag or your local university for lgbt groups. If it's more dating you're looking for, try online dating. Even a Facebook group for lgbt in your area might be worth joining. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, it makes being an introvert a whole lot easier.

6. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... for starters... my facebook got hacked. But Quincy is a college town so I think I might be able to look around a bit more. I know somebody who can help me out. She is a crazy funny lesbian I use to work with.

7. tulipinacup

I'm introverted too so it's also a struggle for me to hang out with people and even those moments where you really want to talk to people.

Are you specifically looking for LGBT people? I think your friend can help you with that.