1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to me on tumblr.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by blaziken25, Feb 19, 2015.

1. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Empty Closets.

Just a quick note: something happened to me on tumblr that I am absolutely not OK with. You may disagree with my opinion on some of the following post. If you do - please don't reply to this thread. I am still incredibly hurt by what happened and it has made me seriously doubt the internet and ways that I can express my opinions.
    This website seems to only be filled with supportive people however - so I'm going to have a go at telling it to you guys.
    This post contains racism, atheism and human rights opinions.

(Also if anyone feels this belongs in a different topic - feel free to tell me so and I'll shift it).

About two days ago - I discovered a new tag on tumblr #NotAllAtheists.
    To fully understand what this is about - surely most of you have heard by now about the outrageous and truly horrific Chapel Hill killings. I IN NO WAY CONDONE WHAT HAPPENED.
    But - I was truly sick of the way that white atheists were being clumped together so I made a post stating so.
    I wrote in the post that I believed that all human lives matter - to me everyone is equal.
    I also said that I felt that I didn't have to apologise for the actions of one white atheist. I may be a white atheist - but I would never even contemplate murdering someone over their religion. I understand that other people have different beliefs to me - and I'm am 100% OK with that. I do not believe all Muslims are extremists - but on the flip side of the coin I expect people to not believe that all white atheists are extremists.

Let's skip to where things got messy for me.

A tumblr blog who advocated black and women's rights re-blogged me saying "All you white pieces of chalk are the same - you claim all human lives are equal because it makes you comfortable". And some more which I don't remember and don't wish to remember. I don't do well to people assuming things about me.
    Now come on - I want oppression to stop because it harms other people! Just because I am white does not mean I lack empathy. I may be autistic but oppression deeply upsets me. Mostly because of my sexuality and I know what oppression feels like.

I then tagged that blog in a post saying that I am not a racist. I also told them that I live in New Zealand - what I believe to be one of the most forward countries in the world.
    I said that in the post.
    I then said this "Racism does not occur to the extent that it does in the USA". Note the words 'to the extent'. I did not say that racism does not occur here - I damn well know that it does - but I don't think we have the problems of the US or other countries. I am proud that a Maori can walk down the street without fear of being hurt. I know that that is true too. I see Maori all the time - happy in living here. I feel that in New Zealand we openly accept our ancient heritage - which is Maori. Even us white kids are taught the language!
    I then said "Everyone here is equal," This was more my bias in MY belief that everyone is equal. Not everyone holds my opinion - but that is the opinion I hold.
    I was then reblogged about 57 times with people harassing me - so called Social Justice Warriors ripping the hell out of me because I expressed my opinion - calling me racist because I ignore racism. Calling me ignorant. I said 'to the extent' key words.
    I honestly thought I was standing up for People of Colour - yet I was ripped apart by the SJWs.
    One person even claimed 'This is the worst NZ related post I have ever seen on here'. That wasn't even the last of it.
    I began receiving hate mail - people saying 'u suck'.
    I was deeply affected - I don't like it when people twist my words and rip me apart. It made me so angry and afraid of what these people (who I don't even know) that I deleted my tumblr account. It may seem stupid - but it still haunts me.
    I thought tumblr was supposed to be safe and supportive - yet I can't even escape abuse on there. The only reason I used tumblr was to look up fandom pictures - not get into fights or offend people.
    I am still angry and upset so I was hoping for some words of wisdom of some kind.
    Tell me I'm not a horrible person or whatever.
    I'm just super proud that I live in such a tolerable and accepting country. Maori have seats in parliament - foreign people are (mostly) welcomed with open arms - I can have friends of other identities and they are not judged on the colour of their skin - we can all experience the Maori culture.
    I know that colonisation was horrible for them - and some haven't truly left that in the past. But some have - and that's what makes New Zealand an awesome diversified country. We respect tapu (mostly).

TL;DR: I thought I was standing up for POC on my tumblr blog and was ripped apart instead. Now I'm deeply upset - deleted tumblr account.

No nasty comments please; I don't think I can deal. My deepest apologies to anyone who I offended. That is not my intent - I just needed to get this out in the air.

Once again - tell me if I should move this post to another forum.

Thanks for taking your time to read my ramblings - I really appreciate it. :kiss:

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you - I really needed a hug. (*hug*)

4. Hiems

This is why I avoid tumblr. I've heard of SJWs, people who hate cis-scum, and the like. It makes me roll my eyes when I see so many keyboard warriors out there. If they really wanted to make a difference, then get out there and do something for the community, rather than snapping on people like you who don't have malicious intent.

Thank goodness EC is nothing like tumblr. Yes, there are heated debates here and people disagree, but I don't think members go out of their way to send hateful PMs.

5. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you. It seems that most people on tumblr hate white, cis, straight people.
    I'm glad I left - though I will miss the GIFs :frowning2:
    Yes - instead of being Keyboard warriors they could actually go start up 'Racial awareness clubs' or something.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely honey (*hug*) :slight_smile: :kiss:

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You've experienced the ugly side of tumblr. They claim to be oh-so-accepting, but the truth is that unless you're underpriviledged in more than one way, these "accepting" people treat you like crap.

They say they're Social Justice Warriors, but they give social justice a bad name, and in my opinion, they disgrace it.

They rarely stop to think about what they're saying or who they're attacking. I don't know if I'm more impressed by that time someone got ripped apart for cultural appropriation of their own fucking culture, or that time I was called "cis scum" and told I didn't "know how it feels to experience gender dysphoria, you fuck" because I misgendered someone once by mistake because they were feminine looking and looking for advice on feminine clothing and I didn't read their bio to look for their preferred pronouns. I apologised and continued to get ripped apart for being an "insensitive piece of shit".

You didn't do anything wrong at all, you only made one mistake. You stood up for white people on tumblr. I'm sorry that you got attacked like that. It's truly a toxic community. :frowning2:

8. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow clockworkfox; that truly sucks. People on tumblr are so quick to wage keyboard war on each other. Looking at your gender I'll assume that you actually are not 'cis-scum'. Heck - I don't think anyone is cis-scum. It's just another way people want to separate and divide us.
    It made me sad - but I don't feel so sad knowing that other people don't think I'm horrible or prejudiced :grin:
    Unrelated: I also like your profile picture - I recently bought the first three Fallout games!

9. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately tumblr really isn't a safe or supportive place much of the time. They have certain hot button issues and unless you (general you) discuss them in exactly the right way they will jump down your throat.

I'm not against social justice or people advocating social justice and I'm not saying people have to always be nice. But some people really need to calm down there.

I'm really sorry you're feeling bad.

(*hug*)

10. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes - I learnt that the hard way. It isn't the best place to have academic conversations.

I think it's fine too - but ripping people apart is not cool. And seeming I wasn't actually oppressing anyone..... urgh I'l just try to forget it :slight_smile:

11. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm really sorry that happened to you. Try not to let it get you down though, there'll ALWAYS be people like that out there :/

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's your problem; you assumed people on the internet would understand even the most basic nuances of meaning in a sentence. Because people are stupid, they consider "does not occur to the same extent that it does elsewhere" to mean the same as "does not occur." Therefore, they give themselves the go ahead to blast you off the site. Some people make a hobby out of it because it makes them feel so great, even though they're just spewing nastiness on somebody who probably knows better than they do.

As far as I'm concerned, Tumblr is an amalgam of pics that can be found through google searches and nothing more. I prefer Reddit (or EC of course :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) for casual discussion; much better average user on there, depending on the sub especially.

#12 Argentwing, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  13. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right. People don't read things properly - they just straightaway blast. Wish I hadn't been so stupid to assume that.

Oooo yes I love Reddit! And Google searching of course. Sad that all my Mass Effect and Korra GIFs will be gone though :frowning2:

14. JerryX

JerryX Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I´ve noticed within last year, there seems to be an atmosphere of it´s own in the States these days. I´m certain it´s the legacy due to the 911. Those terms as cis & white liberal were so new to me, so I got confused at first as well, naturally of course. Now, that I´ve come to face with those terms, like here in EC, I just say ok...fine by me. It only shows, what kind of people are forcing us to take the stand and make up our minds.

Being a white cis male myself and damn proud of it also, I´m just little amused about the fact, that gay-issue isn´t that much of a big deal anymore...racial issues are considered more of a threat nowadays. That is what I enjoy the most, and I think that is what you should do as well. Don´t pay too much attention on those hateful racial keyboard warriors, I´m sure they have much more serious problems in their own lives. Just try to enjoy your life as a proud white homosexual :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

#14 JerryX, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  15. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have noticed on several occasions that Tumblr users lack the broader understanding of complicated sociopolitical problems. To them it's either white or black and it can't be any shade of gray.

I'm too lazy to check out statistics, but my biased expectations are that the majority of Tumblr users are very young and residing mostly in the US. Since they group together you get very polarizing, monochromatic views on pretty much everything wrong with the world.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got bullied. Take your time, breathe out, and move on with your life.

16. thesecretcat

On the internet, you have to be super careful about how you word things as different people take it in different ways... Though these 'key-board warriors' were taking it way too far! I hope that these idiots haven't caused you too much pain :frowning2:. It seems to me that people feel 'braver' on the internet because they are not face to face with the person they are harassing so they feel more free to say hateful things. I hope you are ok!! *sends hugs* I hope you have a good day

17. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for your kind words everyone. I felt like I have finally moved on from this event. I'm just quite sensitive - that's all.
    I will avoid tumblr from now on - it's no use being part of a network where people can't accept difference.
    Most people are extremists on there.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Tumblr is full of messed up people. Can't stand it there.

19. Ryu

Ryu

The hell is Tumblr? Seriously!

Anyways, I feel sorry for you man. It's times like these I really want to be better at motivational stuff... So... Ermm... I would probably just temporarily leave this 'Tumblr' thing for a couple weeks to die down

20. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people