1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out, or did I?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kentigern, Feb 20, 2015.

1. kentigern

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Evening all, apologies if in the wrong area.

Anyway.

Some background first. I'm in college (training course with time split between college and shipboard training) and at the end of our last term there we went out and celebrated and as a sort of see you all when we're back kinda thing. Well, as the night wore on the questioned that had plagued the previous few years of our course reared its head "Here name are you gay?". This had been more of a common question and tended to be towards the banter side of things, since I was denying it and keeping myself closeted and partly because I wasn't at the time 100% sure myself. But at this time I had accepted who I was and decided that I needed to be who I am so I answered with the infamous words "Yeah, I'm gay lads."

Obviously being a wee bit drunk at the time didn't help with the seriousness of my response but I'm unsure if it was actually picked up on by the rest of them since we weren't exactly sober. I haven't seen the guys in the 9 months since we left and are due back to college soon.

Here is my question, if anybody else came out in this sort of situation did your friends remember it?(not that I regret it in any way and am actually quite glad to have the freedom to be who I am.) I'd rather not have to come back with the guys thinking I'm still denying it or closeted.

Now I guess that when I'm home the next step is the family.