1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by pointofnoreturn, Feb 20, 2015.

1. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't say my depression is back, if only because it never left. I haven't cut or anything like that, nor do I want to, but:
    I crave silence and solitude, much much more than usual. When I'm around people I just want them to shut up and leave me alone.
    I've been having trouble sleeping in the sense that when I wake up for whatever reason, I can't fall back and usually end up staying up until I have to get up for the day.
    I'm CONSTANTLY eating junk food, and craving it.
    And of course, the mood swings. Rather than the feeling of screaming, now it's just apathy. In the back of my mind it scares me, but I can't feel fear. Also, sometimes I feel like I am walking around with bottled up rage, but I never express it; I feel normal in between too, which is weird.
    But I have no reason to be depressed; everything in my life is great. I've been thinking about trying to induce mania of some kind, just so I won't feel this way, but as far as I know I am not bipolar.

2. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    never keep your feelings bottled up "thats the thing about pain it demands to be felt"
    do something to express your feeling like drawing or singing or writing about it in a diary.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: Depression��

I can relate.
    It might be just a phase.

Is it possibe for you to get a few minutes of sunlight on the skin every day ?
    Not only through windows, modern windows filter part of the spectrum... just keep yourself warm... Its supposed to help brighten the mood and feel more lively by releasing transmitter substances.
    Move a bit around every day...
    Maybe sing a bit to music... :slight_smile:
    and read, but inspiring stories... I like fantasy and sci fi...
    you could look on amazon, there are opinions of readers there...
    and maybe get the books from a library...

Its possible there are people you can't connect with...
    but you could try to reach out and connect to some people you like...

and maybe take part on EC, but keeping to the lighter stuff... and there are games on EC...
    in the fun and games section, and in the arcade section...
    and by all means chat up other members... many say they are alone... just keep asking questions... I saw a conversation with someone who writes, too... I would ask them all kinds of stuff :slight_smile:

and you could apply for full membership and join the chat... maybe you could ask to have your application processed a bit faster...
    You could try not to eat heavy 2 hrs before sleeping, and eating a light snack before going to bed, like some cereal. And having a glass of warm milk with honey, it produces transmitter substances which help with sleep.
    I have this when I'm not emotionally really satisfied.
    A bit of it should be ok.

You could do a few things you like, which bring you joy.
    Maybe working on creative writing... fantasy stories, not your own one...

what would you always have liked to do ?
    Sewing... cooking...
    or reading... but some really inspiring stories....

What about your college ? Would you like to look up a few pictures of it, look up some activities there outside of the schooling ?

What would give you a bit of a feeling of purpose ?
    Working on a project of your own, tinkering, for a few days ?

Helping some members of your family ?

Do you have a pet ? Spend some time with it, play with it...

You could try to reach out and connect with some people...
    maybe working together with some people from your creative writing class, exchanging ideas...

You could try to balance the junk food. Like having a healthy salad going with it, having an apple, and watching a bit to not consume too much sugar, like in drinks.
    Real juice or water should be better.

I'd say enjoy the quiet phases...
    Don't. Just enjoy. It should be ok, just do some things you like...

And, well, if you want to talk to someone in person,
    you can call here:
    The Trevor Project
    GLBT National Help Center
    People there listen, support and give advice....

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm not sure if you are like me or not but I've had chronic depression my entire life and what you describe is very much how my normal phase is. I've been taught techniques to avoid the suicidal phases and what I'm left with is very much like what you described. Not knowing you at all, based on the explanation of what you are going through right now, I would assume you have depression. I really don't think we ever really get rid of depression we just learn how to deal with it. I crave quiet all the time and I'm very picky about the things that stimulate my senses. When I feel emotions they are very strong. But most of the time I am extremely calm. Emotional people love being around me because they are attracted to my calmness and practicality. They don't realize I had to train myself to be this way. I almost never sleep through the night. At best I can manage four hours straight. I have to be in bed about 12 hours to get 8 hours sleep. That's usually not very practical so I get about 5-6 hours sleep in bed and take cat naps whenever I can. I don't have the food craving you have though. In fact I'm the opposite. I tend to forget to eat. I was close to being anorexic as a teen. I feel an almost constant need to stay in control of every aspect of my life. I'm guessing this is from the fear I had of my depression coming back. I've learned how to adjust to all of these things and I manage them all really well now. I have a very happy life and every year it gets better. I can't say for sure that I won't feel depressed again but I feel really strong right now and I don't fear depression at all any more. Which is a big relief.

5. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sometimes I crave junk food, but most times I'll eat even though I'm not hungry. And sometimes I won't get very much sleep but I'll be fine.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Its important to eat...
    you might try some fruits for snacks...

and sometimes if you had a day where you maybe dozed a bit during the day its possible you are less sleepy...

but for a good night sleep you could try not eat major portions 2 hrs before going to bed...
    it might be too heavy and keep you kind of occupied, not being able to sleep deeply...
    but if you awake during the night it could be because you have to use the toilet, you drank a lot late...
    or because blood sugar is low.
    Thus having a light snack before sleeping, like some cereal, might be a good idea.
    And the tip with a cup of warm milk with honey really works. It releases substances which help with sleep.

(*hug*)

7. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Low again. Woke up feeling great and now I'm back where I was. How much coffee would I have to drink to stay high and okay for a while?

8. lilstar04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. go get professional help
    2. stop eating junk food, it would make you feel bad. when you want something sweet eat a fresh fruit instead ( apple/ banana) those will help give you the good sugar you crave rather than bad.
    3. google online different things you can eat for what bad food your craving.

9. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My family is "sick and tired" of me feeling this way. When I tried to explain to my mom that I might- MIGHT!- have SAD, she didn't believe it was a real thing. I don't even want to know how she'd react if I told her that I'm spiraling downward toward clinical. I've been thinking a lot about how I want to kill myself, and I know for sure that I don't want anyone to find me. As far as the method...slitting my wrists would be cliché since I've relapsed so many times; it's the best bet I've got, but again, I don't want anyone to find me and save me or just find my body.
    I don't want to hurt anyone, but by inhaling and exhaling I do. My mother said to my face that she blames herself for my disability, and I've read that most parents of a disabled child go through a grieving process in order to accept their child. I wonder how disappointed she was to have one perfectly healthy baby boy-my twin brother- and then me. I wonder how many times she told me she loved me in order to convince herself that she could.
    From an intellectual standpoint, I know my family loves me. I just don't understand why and how.
    I've started writing my parents a letter. I might post it here when I finish it.

10. anonym

anonym Guest

I feel the exact same way as you describe. I didn't realise all that was caused by depression. I thought I had undergone some kind of personality change.

Have you considered therapy to work out the cause of your depression?

11. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

It's very possible to be depressed even when things are going well. Some of my worst episodes have been when everything seems to be going OK.

Feeling apathy, craving junk food, wanting to be alone are all signs of depression. It's important to keep yourself active, force yourself to interact with people, and not to withdraw too much, because it will make the spiral worse if you do. If you've been thinking about ways to kill yourself, you should definitely talk to a counselor or therapist.

I'm sure your mother means well, but parents are human, too. Many don't like to see their child in pain, so sometimes they'll deny that it exists.

12. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Anonym, I'm going to college in a couple months, and I'll definitely look into therapy at that point. But not right now. I don't want to upset my family more than I already have by just recently relapsing with cutting; it's been about a month since the relapse, and I have to gain their trust back.
    DragonHerz, I would talk to someone....except doing so would force my parents to take me to a crisis center again and have them bitch at me about how I'm being "melodramatic" and how I "just need to stop feeling sorry for yourself/get over it, grow up/etc, etc." :bang: :help:

13. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well, you can wait until college if you think you can hold out a couple of more months. Being away will definitely change circumstances and that can help for a while, but your problems will eventually catch up to you wherever you go. If you do march into therapy all tough like they will probably just give you meds and send you on your way. Meds can help in a body armor sort of way. You don't feel anything coming in or going out. TBH, that was more than I could handle but that's just me. Besides, they only play when they are playing. To really fix yourself you need what I like to call depression level martial arts therapy training. You need to learn to be like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix, slowing down time and dodging all the bullets coming at you like they were nothing. I'll be honest, it's hard to get that kind of therapy unless you have incredible insurance and even harder to be successful at it. But I swear, where their is a will there is a way with this stuff, so don't give up hope. Never give up. Keep fighting back and don't be too embarrassed to Baker Act yourself if you need to. It's truly a sign of strength to do that, trust me.

14. anonym

anonym Guest

I think therapy is the best idea but that's just my personal opinion. Medication helps. I'm on quite a bit but it only really masks the problem. It takes the edge off but it isn't a miracle cure by any means. It just helps me cope so I guess I would recommend it as a temporary solution while you are in therapy. Therapy is tough but I've come a long way since I started so....

Do you have a plan in place if you feel like cutting? Like helplines you could call, things you enjoy that you can do to try and distract yourself?

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know exactly how you feel. Or, used to... I used to have nothing to be depressed about, now the lovely universe has given me something to be depressed about...

Anyways, I thought I'd just mention that you should really try to eat healthy. It's a viscous cycle, I know. I tend to crave junk food too. I think you should try to have some willpower though and eat healthy. It may not cure your depression completely, but if you are like me, keeping a healthy diet will at least alleviate some of it. If I go back to eating junky food like lots of candy, I do notice I feel worse generally for a bit afterwards.

16. OliverQ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What do you guys do when despite medicine/therapy, your severe depression continues and you know there is nothing that can be done to help you?

17. anonym

anonym Guest

Know that what I am feeling is temporary and wait it out. Could be hours, days, weeks, months, but eventually it passes. There is no such thing as there being nothing that can help you. There is always someone or something - a phone call, a pet, a walk in the park, a puzzle, a song.

18. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Anonym- yes, I have several strategies + friends to get me through...I'll be fine, I hope. Weird question: did you always know you were ftm? Only asking because lately I've been getting this weird, ftm-esque feeling inside. You don't have to answer if you're not comfortable.

19. OliverQ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

But those are temporary bandaids. What if the issues triggering the depression cannot be fixed?

20. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

[/QUOTE] But those are temporary bandaids. What if the issues triggering the depression cannot be fixed?[/QUOTE]

That's where I am at... disoriented as I'm writing this, unable to escape the feelings because the only way I can be free is to die.:bang: