1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My cat had to be put to sleep

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Maeve, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Maeve

My mom called me a few hours ago to let me know she put my cat, Pepper, to sleep. Pepper hadn't been eating, so my mom took her to the vet, where the vet found a mass in her stomach. There wasn't anything that could be done for her, so my mom had to put her to sleep. I'm devastated. I hadn't seen Pepper since Christmas. I wish I had gotten the chance to say goodbye.

I have no idea how I'm going to make it through my classes tomorrow. I have too much going on to skip. I miss my kitty. :cry:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that. (*hug*)

3. Really

Do you know about Rainbow Bridge? I suspect she's just about to get her user ID to get on to the computer network so she can keep an eye on your posts here. You might have to wait until she's finished her fat tuna dinner. And mousy dessert.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry. I lost my dog a few years ago, and, even thought I am a really cold person, it wasn't easy (still isn't).

(*hug*)

5. ouji

ouji Guest

I'm sorry to hear about your loss (*hug*) I have had to put pets down before, and I know how tough it is. I know what you are feeling right now. Be strong, and know that your kitty is in a better place (*hug*)

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*):frowning2: look at it this way..... your cat went to heaven and became part of an awesome S.W.A.T Kats

7. Maeve

Thanks everyone. (&&&)

It's hard in a way, because I don't believe in heaven or an afterlife. Sometimes I wish I could because it would be comforting. But I can't believe anything other than once you die, you're gone.

I haven't lost anyone for a long time.

8. anja26

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry for your loss. :tears: my cat is 14yr old I can't imagine what I'm gona do without her one day :frowning2:

9. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry (*hug*)

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry, I know how it feels to lose a cat (*hug*)
    Sure you guys gave her a good life, and she felt relief when the pain was gone.
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

11. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As an owner of two cats I feel for you. They become part of our family and our lives.
    Sorry for your loss....

12. Seagypsy

So sorry for your loss!

I have been a cat lover all my life and now, my 3 little angels are my treasures. They bring me joy and often comfort at the end of a long day when people may not have been so warm, or so loyal. The love of a pet is worth more than the so-called love of many people! But stay strong, and know that she is grateful for the wonderful life you gave her (*hug*)

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry to hear that (*hug*)

14. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I'm sorry, I've been through that... (*hug*)

15. aeva

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear you lost a beloved family member. Let me share a few things that I've learned from working in an animal hospital for 11 years.

-An animal often stops eating at the end of their life because it is their way of hastening the end of their suffering. It sounds like Pepper knew it was her time to go. Personally, I have always found it very comforting to know that my patients understood that it was the end to their pain.

-Pets are, without a doubt, members of our family. Like with any loss, there is no "right" way to grieve. Everybody heals in their own time, and in their own way. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

-There will be another kitty out there some day (when is up to you) that you will provide an amazing home to. They will never replace Pepper, but they will be another companion to share your love with.

-You may not have had a chance to say goodbye, but Pepper knew how much you loved her. It might sound kind of corny, and I guess it is...but I still believe it is true. I am not spiritual or religious in any way, but working with animals for most of my life (as well as having pets of my own) has allowed me to realize just how intuitive they are. They understand so much more than we give them credit for (even if they are baffled by simple things like laser pointers!).

-Don't underestimate how comforting it can be to talk about her, or memorialize her in some way. For instance, I have my boy's paw print tattooed on my hip. My previous cat's ashes are mixed with my mothers and buried under a tree I planted in their honor.

-It is always difficult to lose a friend and family member, no matter what the circumstance. I have been a part of hundreds of euthanasias over the years...and I still cry every time I even think about losing my own boy (which will be relatively soon, as he is in kidney failure).

If you want to talk, please don't hesitate to PM me.

#15 aeva, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  16. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I'm really sorry. :frowning2: It always breaks my heart to read something like this.:tears:

17. Alisa Arwen

So sorry. Hugs