1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible flatmate

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by leslionel, Feb 25, 2015.

1. leslionel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I live in a YMCA where they have shared flats. My roommate is a complete cow, reasons for me making this statement are:
    • started being extremely weird towards me when she found out I was pansexual
    • hogged the freezer because her boyfriend always stayed over
    • Always expects me to buy bathroom items, even though we're meant to get our own
    • Uses all my food
    • Turns nasty if I try to stand up for myself.

I honestly don't know what to do. We can't pick roommates because this is a homeless hostel. Early today though she found out I was getting a wheelchair for mobility purposes (I have fibromyalgia and find long distance walking difficult). She made me break out in floods today and I'm getting to the point where all my suicidal thoughts are coming back. I can't move out of the hostel otherwise I'll be on the streets :icon_sad: any advice on dealing with her?

Sorry for posting this, didn't know where else to post it.

EDIT: staff don't do anything about it. They sort of laugh it off as if I'm being stupid.

#1 leslionel, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Really

She sounds awful. I'm sorry. My only advice is about the bathroom stuff. Can you keep it in your room and just take it in when you need it? What a pain. I don't have any ideas about her other problems. I'm not sure how to deal with them. Lock box in the fridge?

Are there different members of staff who might be more sympathetic?

I'm not sure how you're standing up for yourself. Have you tried asking someone to be a witness when you speak to her and then say to her, plainly and firmly, Please do not eat my food, use my toiletries, use more than half the freezer space or speak to me unless you can be civil. Thank you.

If you can do this in front of staff, even better. If you can manage to be the calm, sane one, all the better.

3. leslionel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The members of staff don't really care. They don't see me as a risk because I don't drink or do drugs. I've tried everything.