1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The High of Being Addicted

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kellynec, Mar 3, 2015.

1. kellynec

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have suffered from severe depression for the past 3-4 years, ever since I've struggled with accepting who I am. I'm unsure of my sexuality...

I've noticed that whenever I drink a certain type of energy drink, I get so high it's almost like I'm on coke or stuff like that... It's crazy!It has caffeine and taurine in it.

Is this normal, has anyone else experienced this? It's like nothing matters, and you live for the moment...

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the newer pieces of addiction research is that early childhood (first 2 years of life) affects the development of certain neurotransmitter pathways. According to the work of Gabor Maté MD, people who have a deficit in development of adrenalin/cortisol pathways are at particular risk for addiction to stimulants (cocaine, amphetamines, meth, but also caffeine and energy drinks.)

What you're describing sounds consistent with that sort of neurotransmitter deficiency. I'd suggest being very, very careful and never, ever trying any of the more powerful stimulants, as it sounds like you could be at extremely high risk for addiction.

This might be something to explore with a really good psychiatrist with experience in addiction medicine and/or a psychiatrist. It is likely the neurotransmitter deficit is also affecting your depression. The good news is, there are cognitive (non-drug) approaches that can, over time, normalize the neurotransmitter deficits and address the depression. The bad news is, it takes time.

3. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    be careful with that shit...this coming from sumbody with a very high tolerence of any sort of drug i always thought that the people who ended up in the hospital for energy drinks were just pussys who cant handle it..well i became one of those people..about three years ago maybe four i drank a whole redline two redbulls and a starbucks mocha with five shots ontop of what it alreafy came with..that was the scariest fukin thing ive ever felt..and ive done alot of drugs..i was up in the hills too and had just gotten there the nearest hospital was back home 1 hour and 45 minutes away..it hit me fast i remember when it hit me i felt suddenly really cold and couldnt breathe felt like i was having a heart attack..so i left where i was and sat in the car for like two hours waiting till i could leave so i felt full on the effects of.it all..i couldnt breathe i had to take really shallow breaths trying not to pass out i couldnt swallow saliva was just pouring out of.my mouth my whole body went numb..i couldnt walk and i had to pee so bad i couldnt make it to the bathroom its embarrasing to tell but i will cuz no shit thats no fukin joke..i peed in a cup that was in the truck and tryed not to move so much cuz my heart felt like it was gonna explode..i seriously thought that was it and i was gonna die..the two hours passed and my parents came back and we drove back towards town 1-45min and from there i went to the hospital..by that time i was just feeling cold and numb but could sumwhat breathe and swallow i was admitted right away and they did an EKG luckily i didnt do any damage to my heart and gave me sum sort of like maybe anxiety medication for the after effects and so i could sleep..till this day i cant have any caffiene..it made me like not have a tolerence anymore..if i even drink a small redbull or caffinated tea i feel like im gonna pass out..fuk i wouldnt wish that on anybody ever..horrible fukin feeling..i think that if i didnt have such a high tolerance to shit or even just alittle more caffiene i wouldve died..so i hope that ur smart and just get off them before u too, building up a tolerance, go alittle too overboard and end up where i was or worse....protein and exercize gives me the energy i need and its good for u too..energy drinks have all sort of.shit in them they havent even been out long enough to see the long term effects..just be careful..and i dont mean to sound motherly or any of that shit im just telling u what i went thru and it really did a number to me..i was lucky..sad that alot of kids have died from caffiene overdoses.. its stoopid tho id rather die from a dirtbike accident or skateboard accident or atleast sumthing kool..
    .fuk all that..