1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ProudOfWhoIAM, Mar 7, 2015.

1. ProudOfWhoIAM

Hello everyone....
    I'm new to this and i was wondering if there is a post about how to stop yourself harming?

2. Aro

Aro

Hello and welcome to EC. I wish it were under better circumstances that you are joining. The best resource area to check would be General Help. There have been topics there. As for what I can recommend on the spot as someone who has also struggled quite a bit with hurting themselves is that you need to remind yourself that it isn't worth it. If you can, surround yourself with people who care about you, and if there is someone that you can trust, give them the object that you rely on to cause harm for safe-keeping while you are feeling weak.

Talking always helps. There is no shame in it. Find people who understand or even call a help line if you don't have anyone. It can be intimidating, but having someone to occupy you when you crave it is good. You can also try doing something that you love, though I don't recommend getting too far absorbed into something because it often doesn't help and makes you want to be alone.

If you need to talk, please don't hesitate to contact me. Again, welcome, and I hope that you feel better soon.

3. ProudOfWhoIAM

Thank you so much for your kind words Aro, means alot, i suffer with it and im currently trying to help my bf stop also.
    So atm im so confused.
    I have brlliant support from all my close family and friends and i couldnt feel any better.

4. Aro

Aro

You're welcome, of course! I know how difficult it is to deal with it yourself and also watch someone else suffering. It's hard to know what to do or to say. But it's good to hear that your close family and friends are there to support you, and hopefully your boyfriend as well. c: What are you confused about? What to do?

5. ProudOfWhoIAM

He does support me. Alot more than my family sometimes.
    I'm confused about many of my feelings. One minute i can be fine and then the next im in tears.
    Everything just seems to be getting too much

6. Aro

Aro

Sounds like you are under a lot of stress. Sorry to hear it. It's good that you have support, but sometimes that just isn't enough. Just give yourself time and space when you need it, and allow yourself to cry and express yourself as you feel the urge. Outside help is sometimes also a good idea- if you are feeling depressed or have depression, it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it. There are treatments as well as support groups or even therapy that can help you cope with your situation. Either way, you are not alone and I hope that things ease up for you soon.

7. ProudOfWhoIAM

i have suffered with depression for 4 and a bit years and only recently been put on anti-depressiants. x

8. Aro

Aro

I definitely understand. I've been through 16 years of depression myself and am still struggling with it. For me, antidepressants didn't really help. It's important to find the right kind, however. Do you find that they help you at all? It's also important to note, if you don't know this already, that being on antidepressants can increase the risk of suicidal thoughts as well as self-harm urges. If you are feeling that way and it's come back recently, it could be a result of the pills.

9. ProudOfWhoIAM

I did when i started the tablets but the thoughts have slowly started to fade.
    Days the tablets could be working, id be completely fine and then the next i wouldnt be okay

10. Aro

Aro

I'm definitely glad to hear that it started to fade for you. That's a good sign. It is always rocky to be on them anyhow, and like you say, it's taking it day by day. Which is all you can really do when you have depression. I really hope to hear that it improves for you sometime, though. I know stuff like that doesn't just magically evaporate, but I hope that you start to feel better in the near future.

11. ProudOfWhoIAM

it seems to get worse at night

12. Aro

Aro

I find that is common in most people. It's when you are winding down and have more time to think on things. It's also generally when you spend the most time alone, as opposed to interactions during the day. I know it's worst for me at night as well. Which is why I like having things like Skype. Then you aren't ever truly alone. c: And of course this forum helps as well. Not like there is a closing time or any shortage of people up at odd hours or from different time zones.

13. ProudOfWhoIAM

I don't know how to make the bad thoughts go away, They are getting worse :frowning2: