1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I be more active in PFLAG

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by turtlemom, Mar 10, 2015.

1. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi everyone, Im a mom and since our 19 yr old son came out a yr a go I have been attending a PFLAG group once a month about an hr from our home. Sometimes I cant go because of weather but I try to go whenever I can. I go but I dont know what to do. It would be nice if I had some ideas on how to be at least a little more active. I feel useless just being there. If anyone has any ideas to share that would be great. Thank You:slight_smile:

2. Gallatin

Hi there!

I think it's great that you've been going to the PFLAG group despite the distance, and I commend you for doing so.

Does the PFLAG group participate in any events, like Pride Parades/festivals? If so, maybe you could join them in that. Also, have you asked the leaders of the group about being more involved? They might be able to give you some direction. :slight_smile:

3. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi Gallatin, Im sorry that Im just now getting back on here. I appreciate you taking the time to message. Yes I thought about asking how I could be more involved but then felt kind of embarrassed as in maybe they will think I should just know. I guess I could just say something like, is there anything I can do or let me know how I can be of help.

Thank you

4. Gallatin

Nah, I don't think they would have that kind of reaction. I know that if I were running the group, I certainly wouldn't think that if a member came up and asked me! Above all, I'd be happy and grateful that somebody was willing to offer their time and assistance.

So yeah, I would definitely ask them! I think phrasing it along the lines of asking if there's anything more you can do to help, and expressing a desire to get more involved, is good. :slight_smile: