1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

being forced to leave my parents house by my mam.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ctrl alt delete, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I just feel I need to share this,

I've had serious issues with my mother since I was young. She's always "been there" for me but they've also been very controlling and stopped me from getting help for issues I had with learning difficulties and mental health when I was growing up. Shes also been very emotionally difficult in ways that are hard to describe without getting into all the details. I've had problems with my dad as well, but not as bad as with my mam.

I moved back with my parents after having a bad time in my life where I was struggling to come out about being genderqueer, find work and find somewhere to live.

I thought this was a good time because I'd already confronted them about a lot of the issues I had growing up and they are both not working right now. But there'd been some issues and things got bad again.

Then on monday my mam, said she wanted to talk to me and just basically started attacking me. She brought up all this stuff from when I confronted her about stuff growing up and said that I was obsessed with the past and was just taking my issues out on her. She said that I was aggressive and angry and she thought I was going to attack her all the time. Then she kept saying this stuff about how its about an older woman living with her "son". I recently tried to tell her about being abused as a child as well, but she brought this up as well and seemed to imply I was making these feelings of being abused up.

None of these things are true, I am not an angry or aggressive person at all. She said a lot of other things but these are the bits that really hurt. I have a feeling that what she wanted to say is that she's finding it too difficult to deal with the feelings that come up for her when I'm around about the past (because I do not talk about it at all). But she said all these things in such an emotionally manipulative way and seemed really unaware that I might take them badly.

I've been trying to see her point of view (she's very sick at the moment), but it really feels like she just doesn't get it. I've been trying really hard to have a relationship with her and my dad cause I do love them, but I can't be around someone who hurts me so deeply and then thinks we can act like its fine.

I have already arranged to move out so thats not the issue, but it just really hurts cause it feels like I've failed or I'm giving up. But I really don't see any other way through this than to cut her off again. She's not going to understand, but I can't make her understand. And I just need to accept that I think.

Anyway, rant over.

2. RainDreamer

Yeah, it takes time. For some, it takes too much time. You should just move away again and hope for the best now. To change a person's mind, it might takes decades of effort. And it is not going to be easy. So do what you can, as much as you can, but if you can't see it working now and being hurt, then move away and heal up. Perhaps you can try again in the future if you wish.

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I really feel bad for you. It is very difficult to try and help someone you love when the help itself adds fuel to the fire. That really sucks. I hope you realize you aren't the bad person you think you might be. In so many ways this is beyond your control.

We are taught to be there for our parents but no one ever teaches us what to do where "being there" for them becomes part of the problem! Stepping aside may be the best solution, even if it feels like giving up.

A few years ago, I was on a plane to Chicago and we were about to take off when the person telling us about the emergency procedures became particulary passionate about the detail of how important it was that we put our oxygen mask on ourselves first before putting one on our loved ones. That really struck me because I tend to make a lot of decisions for other people. I do it because I love them but I also know I am all too human and I am going to make mistakes from time to time. The idea of putting an oxygen mask on myself first so I can make sure I have the added strength to help others with theirs struck me because I know just how profoundly wise that is.

You can't help your mam if you don't help yourself first. It's as simple as that. The decision to move away from her, as painful as that may be, is Important. You need to do it so you can be strong enough to return to her at a later time and help her from a position of strength. Don't feel guilty about it. Promise to be there for her in the future and just walk away. The sooner you do it the better.

4. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think your right manraffe. thanks for your kind words. the analogy with the airplane us good. nuts definitely a case where trying to be around for her is hurting me and i find it difficult and stressful having time deal with her adder all this. so yeah just starting to put as much distance between us as possible right now and trying not to think about the future.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Welcome to the club. Congrats on being aware right here and right now.

Get independent as soon as possible, and don't feel like you owe her anything. Some people are just toxic, and some of them are found in our own family. Try to focus on other relatives, probably somebody way better to talk to, or just seeing from time to time, so you can keep family ties. They are always a nice social backup.

Congrats again. It takes courage.