1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety and trying to join the gay community

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheStormInside, Mar 12, 2015.

1. TheStormInside

I'm sort of venting here, but also just wondering if other people's social anxiety has gotten in the way of them coming out and starting to get into the gay community in the real world. This is a huge step for anyone, of course, but I feel like right now my two issues (my sexuality and my social anxiety) are converging in a major way. I had a meltdown today because a woman I met at PFLAG is offering to connect me with some other women in the community, but wants my phone number in order to do so. Logically I *know* this is a good idea, these women will only talk to me if they want to do so, and so likely it is going to be a helpful experience, or at worst a neutral one. But the thought of it still sends me reeling. I have a hard enough time talking to friends about my sexuality. And a hard enough time getting a few words out to strangers about anything. So talking to strangers about my sexuality just feels :icon_eek: .

This then of course spirals into further thoughts- how will I ever get into the community at all? Every activity I attempt is going to be a barrage of new people. How will I make friends? Will I be accepted, at my age? Will they take me seriously? And how will I ever find a girlfriend if I can't even get myself to *talk* to people? And so on, and so forth.

I know the answer to all of this is to "push myself" and I do. But sometimes I push a bit too much, or a particular set of factors converge and I'm knocked out cold like I am tonight. And I'm sitting here venting and typing because I can't do much of anything else. Times like this, when I can barely pour myself a bowl of cereal for dinner and just stare stunned into space because I can't will myself to do much more than that, I get very frustrated and very worried that I'll never truly get past all of this.

2. CrazyAwkward

My anxiety has given me trouble in the same way. I've met some people online, and have met some of them in person, but other than that I've been stuck. Those I've met have all been from some distance away, so I don't exactly feel part of any community. Connecting with anyone in the gay community locally has been difficult, for some reason. There is a PFLAG here, but I'm not sure it's for me. Every gay person I know of around here is way older than me (way older than my mom, even) or way younger, and I'm anxious that I'll be so out of place if there's no one in my age group.

It is difficult, pushing through anxiety. I've found that getting to know people from behind a screen before meeting helps, and will continue to do that. But I'm hoping I can push myself further someday and take a chance on going to a PFLAG meeting since its the only LGBT centered thing around here. I think it's great that you've taken that step. And, even though it'll be scary, I know you'll be able to keep taking steps forward. They don't even have to be big steps. Little steps will still get you where you want to be. So try not to get too discouraged. You'll be alright :slight_smile:

3. TheStormInside

Thanks for your response, CrazyAwkward, it helps to know I'm not alone in this. You're right, even if I take only small steps, they are still steps in the right direction.

I just emailed that woman telling her I would indeed like to talk to these people. Hopefully something good comes out of it.

I'm fortunate in that there are a good amount of LGBT groups nearby. I just haven't found one for people in my particular situation (coming out in adulthood) which is why I went to PFLAG first. When I start to feel more comfortable I will try to check out some of the more socially oriented groups nearby. PFLAG doesn't seem quite right for me, either, it was mostly parents or relatives of LGBT people rather than gay people themselves. But I am hoping that it'll help me build some connections, at least.

Do you have an LGBT center in town? If not, maybe PFLAG would be worth checking out for you, too... even if you don't end up caring for it it doesn't hurt to go and see what it's like, right?

4. tulipinacup

You're lucky enough that you have a known organisation specifically for the gay community whereas from where I live, it's either that there is none or I have to travel 6 hours just to reach the destination.

I have started to join a local Philippine gay forum though and while it's great to meet people online, they do occasional meet-ups and due to my anxiety, I am hesitant in joining but at the same time I do want to get to know different people which is frustrating.

I think though with your situation, while these people are complete strangers, they still relate to you so there is something to talk about. Just think of them as part of this Forum and maybe that way it can help you communicate with them.

5. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what your area is like but where I am at most people don't call one another on the phone unless they are the older crowd who doesn't text or email frequently. Usually when I connect with others I suggest email, text, facebook, or something of that nature. Random phone calls are bad for my anxiety.

When I joined a group in university the first thing I did when I walked into the room I walked right out. We had a great leader at the time who came out into the hallway and asked if I was looking for the group and invited me to come in and sit down. I felt embarrassed about everything but it was okay, the people were very understanding.

Going to meet people in person can be very frightening when we have all these questions in our heads. Also the online world tends to be more instant and goes at a faster pace where connections face-to-face are agonizingly slow so we have all this time to fret over things. I will say that it takes time to become integrated into any new group. The people will most likely to be friendly however it does take time to build friendships. I was hoping for instant best friends from these groups but it really took a year before I could really say "wow...these people are my friends". It took a lot of time, chatting hear and there, cups of coffee, planning/organizing events together, asking questions, meeting outside the group, etc. I think you will do well, just take a deep breath and allow yourself to enjoy the ride :slight_smile:

6. TheStormInside

tulipinacup- Thanks, I'll try to think of it that way. I'm sorry you don't have much of a community where you are, but I think it would be great if you could try to make it to a meetup! Have you tried to go to any?

sweetfemme90- Yeah, my friends and I tend to communicate via Facebook or text for the most part. I asked about it and I guess a few of the women that I may be put in touch with are in the older crowd, so that may be why the want to use the phone rather than email (which I am far more comfortable with, the phone is awful for my anxiety, too).

I'm glad you've managed to find a good group of friends. Thanks for the reminder to be patient, as well, you're right, this won't be instantaneous, but hopefully it will lead somewhere eventually.

7. CrazyAwkward

You're welcome. Good luck with talking to those people. Talking on the phone gives me anxiety too, so I know it's hard. But I'm sure it'll work out ok :slight_smile: Hopefully it'll even point you in the direction of a group more suited for you.

There's no LGBT center here. Even in the city the only place google has turned up is youth oriented. Plus some groups at different colleges, but I'm not sure if any of those are open to the public.

8. TheStormInside

Thanks! I got an email from one of them, hopefully the others will email as well. It will be nice if we can email for a bit then meet in person. I find in person meeting preferable to phone, even, though it is also inherently stressful.

We also don't have an LGBT center, so I understand your frustration. Maybe you could try emailing those college groups to see if you could join? You're only a few years older than typical college age and there may also be grad students who are in your age range.

9. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

I'll be honest, I feel much more supported by people outside of the LGBT community; my experience hasn't been so great with that, just a bunch of cliquey gay guys talking trash and gossip, feeling on top of their own little world and making fun of the less popular gay guys. But who knows, maybe I just have bad luck with that. Just dive in, see what happens, worst case if you have an experience like mine at least you'll have made the effort to find out.

10. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Practice, practice, practice. Looking back it's funny, but it took me almost a day to read an email from the first girl I contacted on a dating site, now three months later I just click on it right away without having much hesitation. The same goes with phone calls.
    Out beyond your usual boundaries, where you don't know what to expect, there's room for growth.

11. TheStormInside

Sapphire- I'm sorry to hear you haven't had a great experience. Hopefully the people here will be more welcoming. Are there any other groups you could try checking out? Or maybe those "less popular" gay guys are more friendly?

Paris- You're right. And congrats to you making progress on the dating site! Have you been able to meet anyone in person?

Embarrassingly, I got a couple of calls today from unknown numbers that I did not answer. It may or may not have been them, for all I know maybe telemarketers. I was in the middle of errands and such so I could not have spoken then, but I do wish if it were one of those women they'd leave a voicemail so I know who it's coming from. I suppose if I see the same numbers pop up again I will have to make an effort to answer if I can. :icon_redf

In better news, I've sent a couple of emails back and forth with the woman who contacted me via email, and she has been open and willing to help, so that is good, at least!

12. CrazyAwkward

I'm glad emailing has gone well so far. Hopefully when you're able to connect with the other women by phone things will go just as well :slight_smile:

Emailing the colleges is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Getting to any of them might be difficult because of my location, if I'd be allowed to go, but it's a good idea to keep in mind.