1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend Said he might be a Transgender

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MrSkittles, Mar 12, 2015.

1. MrSkittles

A week ago me and my friend were at my house and he told me he feels like he might be a female and feels like he is. After he told me i told him i supported him and told him he could talk to me if he needed anything. I never had a Transgender friend before and i really want to try to help. What can i do to help?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would start by asking "him" if he'd prefer to be called "her." It seems to be one of the simplest ways to show you care about a trans person. :slight_smile:

3. AsheTheHuman

Absolutely this. I'd also tell them that if they wanted to wear makeup, girls clothes, etc. around you that that would be fine.

4. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Always listen! This is very important. In the past I had and still have a few transgender/gender-variant friends and it is important to let them speak.

Whatever they needed I would try my best to help. For one friend they needed help with appearance, being a woman I was able to give them clothing I no longer wore. Another friend who I met over the summer needed additional queer people in their life so I connected them with other people I knew. Another friend needed someone to be close to their house when they told their parents they were transgender. Other friends needed to rant/vent, needed people to stand up for them, needed space, needed to be taken to meetings when they felt scared to go alone.

The best thing to do right now though is to just listen and know you support them. I think you did a great job and never hesitate to ask a person what they need and how you can help. All of those examples above come with time. I would definitely recommend this website to your friend so they can connect with others in the online world.

5. Aura

I don't have much advice but I do recommend, like sweetfemme90, to show them this website.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Treat her like a lady, and try to be there when she needs somebody.

You could tell her about EC, and you could also to go with her to LGBT centers, if she wants or needs to go with somebody.

Above all... Respect her and treat her normally, and ask her about her new name.