1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to talk to people at a dance?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SquidwardT, Mar 12, 2015.

1. SquidwardT

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In a few days there is going to be an LGBT+ and allies high school dance in my area and I am going with some of my friends. The problem is, two of my friends are a (straight) couple so they will likely hang out together and my other friends are quite good at socializing and flirting and such but, they are unwilling to help me... So what should I do? I'd love to try to make some new friends... Maybe flirt with some gals... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (god, so embarrassing) I just am not good at such things. Advice?

2. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Figure out what you would say to someone you are interested... Imagine it in your head...

You're at the dance, across the room someone catches your eye. Maybe they've been staring at you the whole time. You walk across the room...

Hi, how's it going? I really like your ______. Want to dance, or something?

When you sort of have a small script, practice it in the mirror, out loud. Don't try to be clever, just be friendly and open.

And don't be embarrassed, it's okay to want to flirt with some gals, and/or guys... Part of growing up, and becoming a sexual being.

I know, having social anxiety all my life, the hardest thing is getting past that pit in your stomach telling you your going to f' something up, be rejected, make a stupid remark, or just end up standing in front of someone not being able to speak up.

Sometimes you just have to go for it. Ignore the pit in your stomach and go for it. That's the only way to really learn how to be social, get out there and be social. But be yourself too.