1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I keep getting depressed and in need of a work

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by tulipinacup, Mar 13, 2015.

1. tulipinacup

So maybe I really should create a thread about this (as suggested by Nychthemeron) because I fear that I am getting older and I need to get a job.

As what I've mentioned on the other thread, It started when I had to go to another place in our country for a job interview and it took 2 days for me (with the commuting and food paid by my parents) to reach the destination and with hours of waiting to get my actual interview ended up not getting it. It was kind of a relief for me despite the very tiring travelling I had to do because deep inside I didn't want to get the job because it requires going to Japan and we have to learn basic Japanese language and I don't think my Social anxiety can take it.

And that's another issue for me, I have been diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder by my therapist years ago and it has pretty much made me stop from grabbing a lot of opportunities that I should have taken when I was still younger. Thinking I would be good at it, I took Medical Technology as my first course back in college and it has given me a lot of stress and pressure because it was hard as hell and I kept failing so I ended up dropping and switched to Hotel and Restaurant Management which was completely opposite to my personality yet managed to survive 4 years of it.

Cooking interests me and that's the reason why I took it but when we had our apprenticeship and took training for a job as a cook, It felt like everything had to be done in an instant and there's constant pressure that I couldn't get things done and end up quitting.

I decided to take Baking as a short course and even though it was still as stressful as cooking, I find it easier. That's when I realised that these are things that I really like doing as a hobby than an actual work. I liked Baking because it was therapeutic for my anxiety disorder.

And then there's this guy who I was dating that turned out he's still in a relationship with his bf and apparently he was just using me so he could have a "revenge" on his bf who cheated on him first. (I can talk about how I end up meeting his bf in person but that would be too long and awkward) I kinda was deeply hurt by it and has affected my self-esteem which is whatever and my biggest mistake was that I gave him a second chance and it was pretty much like a second punch on my face and it's honestly making me lose interest in the dating scene. I felt like I wasted my time with this guy and it just reminded how I haven't accomplished anything in my life.

I'm starting to think I should switch to a career that I find more passionate about which is Counselling and specifically working on people who also has Avoidant Personality Disorder. The problem is that I would need money for me to go back to school and I can't afford to ask for my parent's money again since they have spent so many shit on me and I haven't paid anything in return. I also think they would be upset on me because I keep changing my mind with what I really want to do in life.

I'm sad, lonely and depressed and have declined connecting to my old friends since I don't think they will welcome me when I tell them that I'm gay. My goal was to come out to my mum before 2014 and since she's been in a lot of stress from her work and it has affected her health, I had to bite my lip again. I really want to talk to someone in real life about my situation (other than my cousin who lives in the US and my therapist) but I have always been a loner because of how people around me talk about their ignorance when it comes to gay people.

I'm sorry if this post is too lengthy and I do appreciate if you read it. I'm not sure what I really want here but I guess this is also a rant as much as of in need of an advice.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will be praying for you, tulip. You are a good guy and deserve the best. You know that my degree was in management, and I settled for call center jobs because I did like people.

3. Hiems

Perhaps you could be self-employed as a private baker, which is akin to a private chef. Like, private chefs cook for their clients, except you can bake for your clients. They give you deadlines, but at least you have a notice in advance so that you have time to prepare whatever they ask you to, without feeling rushed.

Costs may include baking equipment and the like, so that might not be feasible if you cannot afford it.

If so, then have you considered working as a baker in a bakery, restaurant, supermarket, food store chain, etc? These jobs might require you to work more quickly, but at least you don't have to worry about the costs of baking equipment by being a self-employed baker.

4. tulipinacup

I am currently working as self-employed baker. While I prefer it, I'm not getting enough money from it. I'll have a talk with my therapist on Monday though.

5. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm in a similar position and I'm a few years older than you so you're not alone. I am currently being assessed for personality disorders and avoidant was mentioned...I also have no idea what I want to do career wise. I have a degree in a subject I'm not the least bit interested in now and so wasted thousands I have to pay back. My previous employment was in retail which I didn't much like but can't go back to anyway due to social anxiety/possible personality disorders/possible aspergers syndrome.

Could you not drum up some more business as a self employed baker with a bit of advertising or something or would it still not be a big enough income?

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Whatever you do for a living, never stay too long in places that doesn't suit your personality. Think of your situation as something temporary, and start to plan right now where you want to go - practical details like when and where to study what, how much you really need, how long would you need to save...Do the math. Then take a decission.

Stop blaming yourself for what you did or didn't do on the past. That's dead. What belongs to you is the future, so try to focus there.

I don't know much about avoidance or personality disorders, but if you want people back in your life again, you need to become proficient in socializing and small talk. The way to do it is to practice - at shops, the streets... You could join a club or take classes... There is no magic pill or secret, and to wait for the right people is not a good idea, you need to be the active party yourself.
    Set yourself some goals, like talking to somebody everyday and so on... You can do this, trust me...

I know how it hurts to feel lonely, I hope you can change this soon... Have faith in yourself, and be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know...

7. tulipinacup

As I have mentioned before, I'm currently working as a self-employed baker but the problem is that I don't really advertise it on social media because I didn't want everyone to know and I much prefer it through word of mouth, lmao. I get paid but it's really not enough to cover up my expenses.

Thanks, David. I really appreciate that.
    Thanks for your advice, and you're right there really isn't any shortcut with this issue I'm dealing with. Having Avoidant Personality Disorder has similarities with Social Anxiety Disorder, mine however is much worse like for example, If I know one situation is going to be stressful for me, I already back out in advance. I've been much worse back in the day and I couldn't even buy food from the grocery because of it. It all stems from me being gay and that is why I do want to talk about this to my mum.

8. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your posts read like a damn just exploded in on you. Tulip, you are trying to fix too much all at once here. You need a plan. My mother used to say, "Plan the work and work the plan." It just makes life simpler.

Maybe the question, "What do I want to do with my life?" is the problem. Maybe a better question would be, "What do I have and what can I do with it?" Think about it, Tulip, should people with Avoidance Personality Disorder ever directly ask themselves the question, "What do I want?" Wouldn't they just avoid getting it? I think the indirect approach is better.

Your life is't broken, Tulip, it's just complicated. You know you tend to back away from situations so use that knowledge ahead of time and make choices based on it. Don't just follow what you feel, what your parents expect, or what seems right. Always ask yourself if given your condition, can you handle it?

Cooking is a wonderful profession, I've done it professionally myself when I was <25 and it was one of the most stressful jobs I ever had. I couldn't handle it either. Maybe we have something else in common too. I'm thinking anyone who likes to cook probably likes to figure things out. My passion is cooking but my occupation is computer programming and I have often thought the two were related. Have you thought about doing something technical?

Don't let the guy who used you bother you. The exact same thing happened to me, and has probably happened to a lot of people. Just move on. It has nothing to do with you. You seem like a sweet guy, and I'm sure if you keep putting yourself out there you will find happiness in a relationship.

Don't be down on yourself, it's not good that you do that. You just need a low stress life so you can deal with your condition and there's noting at all wrong with that. Be aware of it and don't over commit yourself.