1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school and bipolar disorder

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MyLittleWorld, Mar 17, 2015.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This disorder effected my grades, memory, thinking, and my meds ofcourse have some side effects too... The biggest problem is attendance. When I get depressed, I can't get up. Then, I don't know what to say to school, even though a few teachers know that my health is not good. I was a really good student, but now, it seems like everything is going down. No light in the end of the tunnel. I have to bring explanations for missed lessons to my school, and I miss A LOT of school, but I'm trying to catch up.

I am thinking about talking to my teachers about this, and finding something that will work for me. I don't want to be home schooled. I have to find a way... because, I want to have a future.

Does anyone have any advice? It would really really help.

2. Gallatin

Talk to the teachers. Assuming they're decent, they should recognize a student who shows a true desire to succeed. That is what you should impress upon them - that you recognize the value in education, and that despite the fact that you've had issues that have interfered in that, you desperately want to succeed and are willing to do just about whatever's necessary.

3. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for answering...

The problem is, I don't know what to tell them. I have pretty bad asthma and I often get fever, flu, or something else. I am chronically absent from school because of my health problems. My mom keeps telling me to just quit school, but I hate this idea. I want to study, and I honestly do study a lot for myself, but my health is terrible, at the same time I have so many dreams...

I don't know what to do about this, I'm afraid that some teachers won't understand or think I'm just making excuses or worse, like consider me just lazy...

Should I really quit trying or what?...

4. Silver Sparrow

Don't give up! You clearly love learning and education. Does your school have a guidance counselor or someone who has experience in similar matters (extended absences, health issues, etc)? They might be able to help you with strategies for figuring out work or getting your absences forgiven. I'm assuming you are in high school based on your age.

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure about guidance counselor, I will have to ask someone. We have so many people here in my school that should help, but in reality they don't want to give help at all.

I was thinking about getting help from school's psychologist, but then I found out she doesn't work with people who have 'mental conditions'...