1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I transgender?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BUHgofp8, Mar 17, 2015.

1. BUHgofp8

BUHgofp8 Guest

Recently, I've felt like I might be transgender, but I'm not sure. If you are going to respond to this, please don't be rude because I am only looking for serious answers that can help me better understand who I am, please say everything respectfully because I really am questioning who I am right. I've always felt more feminine than a lot of guys, and most of my friendships have been with girls. I like when people call me cute, pretty, or something of the sort. I don't like the idea of having a masculine body, I'd rather be small and cute. I don't know if I would dislike being called she/her but I'd probably still chose to be called he/him just because I think it would be easier for the people involved, if I did come out as transgender that might change afterwards once people get used to it, but I don't know. I remember in middle-school I once started dressing up like a girl and wanted people to call me a girl's name (I think it was Tiffany), but I later stopped because I was getting crap from my teacher (she was a religious nut) and some of my peers. I grew my hair out long and started to wear my hair in a pony-tail. I'm not sure if I feel 100% female, but I definitely don't feel 100% male. Being around a lot of the guys around school makes me uncomfortable because I feel like I have to give in to certain gender-roles, being around girls can make me uncomfortable too because they don't understand I am more feminine than a lot of other guys. I don't think I'd chose to dress like a girl now, because I don't feel like it's important. I just want people to understand how I feel. If I'm not transgender then what else might I be. Thanks to anyone who can help me answer this question. If any transgender people read this I really want to hear what they think, do you think I'm transgender or am I feeling something else?

#1 BUHgofp8, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  2. AsheTheHuman

It's certainly possible you're trans. I relate to a lot of what you've said. Right now, my advice to you is to experiment and find what makes you feel good. This website is a great place to start. Have you been thinking about names? Is there a name you'd like for me to call you? Also, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'd be happy to answer anything.

3. BUHgofp8

BUHgofp8 Guest

I'm not too concerned with names. Again, if I did chose to identify as transgender maybe this would change overtime but now I'm comfortable with my current name. I don't care what people call me, I feel this is irrelevant to how I feel, I can still be me regardless of my name. I feel the same way about changing my sex, I think I can still be feminine without changing my sex which, from what I've read online is how a lot of transgender people feel. I would also like to point out that I obviously don't think all girls feel the same way I do, I'm just explaining the way I personally feel. I think I would be more comfortable if I could identify as transgender, but I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not, for one this makes people who are transgender a lot less credible. I've read stories online about transgender people who have strongly felt opposed to the gender they were assigned at birth, I haven't been completely opposed to my gender since birth but I feel like in a way I did I just didn't really know what I was feeling. That's the main reason i'm unsure, is because a lot of transgender people seem to have always known their true gender, and I've only recently began to think that maybe I would feel better if I could identify as transgender. But again, in a way I've always felt like this I just didn't really know how to describe it. I think maybe I should just sit on it for a little bit before deciding to come out and talk to other transgender people to see what we have in common. If anyone can relate to this, all of my relationships haven't worked out. I really got along with the last person I dated, but it didn't work because she wanted a male that could lead the relationship which I am very uncomfortable doing. Again, if anyone has anything to say that they think could help me it would be appreciated.

4. RainDreamer

You could be transgender in the loosest interpretation of the term, as in, one who transcend genders. You could be gender fluid, or something similar, being in between both. Or you could even be something out of the girl and boy spectrum together and is being just you.

And it is always a good idea to take your time to explore yourself. There is no harm in trying to figure out yourself first before jumping to conclusions. Once you are sure of who you are, then the rest is a little bit easier, because you will know the answer to "why I am feeling this" for a lot of things.

If it is anything, I didn't figure out my true gender at first either. I kind of envy those people. Took me till nearly 18 to finally find myself. So don't be afraid that you don't sound like the people on the media. There are more people than those who are on TV.

5. BUHgofp8

BUHgofp8 Guest

Alright, thanks. If anyone could explain their personal story as to how they started identifying as transgender I think that would be helpful to me.