1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretendbians - A question to cis-women who date women

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MapleBrownSugar, Mar 18, 2015.

1. MapleBrownSugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't know how I wanted to bring this up, but I think a little backstory is needed... before I came to accept my transgender, I was really confused emotionally about myself. I'm romantically attracted to women, but I found myself discontented with my self image. In highschool I was exposed to much more variety of sexualities and gender ideas, and while I was no where near finding myself, I know what things drew me in. I came to really love romantic stories involving lesbians. They moved me emotionally in ways I never felt before, so I became a strong ally for any of my friends, gay or lesbian, who came out to me because I felt a strong desire to see them happy with who ever they wanted to be with.

Much later, when my gender dysphoric feelings became more unsettling, and I fell in love with my a very good friend of mine who is also a lesbian and who I know dated transwomen before, I tried looking up stories of trans-women who identified as lesbians, and came across a site (maybe you guys have heard or seen it) called Pretendbians. I don't think I need to explain that "pretendbians" = pretend + lesbians...

I had a series of mixed thoughts reading both the writings on the site and the comments made by both the trans-folk and the cis-lesbians in the comments, but suffice to say, I was crying before I closed the page. I was quite hurt by it...

They don't believe trans-women should consider themselves "true women" in lesbian romances, they believe trans-lesbians are trying to appropriate lesbian culture, and they hide from criticism by quoting trans-violence /against/ lesbians, referring to trans women who had their penis surgically removed as having mutilated holes etc etc. I don't believe that these people represent a majority of lesbians, and I don't necessarily think that most of what they say is /inherently/ bad, or mean, or prejudiced. But it scared me, a lot.

My question is, for the cis-women who frequent this site, how prevalent do you think this idea of "pretendbians" is in lesbian circles? What are your experiences/thoughts about this?

I-I'm not trying to appropriate lesbian culture... I just want to love a woman and have her love me as a woman too... :icon_sad:

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't think this is common between cis lesbians at all. Unfortunately, the internet attracts a lot of shitty people that can come in all groups. The bisexuals on tumblr for example are the most terrible lesbophobic piles of trash I've ever met, but I do not think all bisexuals or even most are like this. My two best friends are bi, and they say this behavior disgusts them and they do not want to be associated with it. Therefore, I do not close myself off from dating bi women just because of a few SJW's. Likewise, a lot of cis lesbians don't associate with these crazy radfems.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sweetie, stop reading lesbian separatists, okay, hon? :frowning2:

Sure, they are out there, but they don't represent lesbians as a whole.

~ Adrienne

4. MapleBrownSugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    T-that's good to hear... my friend said much the same thing when I asked her. I'm just very self-conscious right now about associating myself as a lesbian despite being male-at-birth. I'm not really out to anyone right now, so I don't have to worry about dating for the present, but the future prospect made me nervous...

5. David21201

Anybody who doesn't consider a transwoman a lesbian (if they identify as that!) is honestly trash. I maybe 14 but i would have NO problem dating a transwomen.

6. RainDreamer

There are people that just don't see us transgirls as girls at all. The author of that blog is one. Just ignore and move on, because if we are not considered real by some person's opinions, then we also can consider those opinions nonsense.

Life is much bigger than people on the internet talking s**t. We have better things to do, like, enjoying our lives for once than subjecting ourselves to hateful vitriol.

7. MapleBrownSugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yeah... you guys are right. The amount of support the person was getting in the comments was off-putting, but I know there are lots of good people out there. And I'm meeting new ones all the time, like now! :grin:

8. RainDreamer

The good thing, and bad thing, about the internet is that it allows people with the same mind set find each other easily. Which means it can either unite us like this forum so that we can support each other through our lives, or let hateful people create their own echo chambers where they can only ever hearing their own opinions and grows ever more hateful.

You just have to be smart about where you go. Welcome to the family.

9. Outlier

One of the first articles I read after accepting myself was about how trans-men ARE men. It was a great article, but a lot the comments were horrible! I'm talking other gay men being just hateful and bigoted, and completely invalidating trans-men. It was so disheartening and hurtful. But it's the internet: the place where the minority that is crappy humans are the ones doing the most talking. Try to ignore it and remember most people aren't like that. Stay away from it if you can. It's poison.

10. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just like said above, there are all sorts of people around the internet. As hard as it can be at times, just try to ignore the rubbish talking. Instead, be the awesome person you are just the way you are. If there is someone who doesn't appreciate you, then move on, they don't deserve your attention.

11. MapleBrownSugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you, thank you all :') you guys are amazing, I'll stay away from those kinds of blogs. But I'll tell ya, I love /this/ site! :grin: thanks for answering/commenting on my question everyone!

12. sighnomore

Out Status:
    Some people
    There will always be people who don't understand and are not capable of accepting ideas and lifestyles outside their comfort zone. I am in the process of trying to accept who I am, and part of that is realizing that just because I have been harassed and been treated badly in the past by certain groups of people, does not mean they speak for all lesbians on this planet. And that it may be harder to find, but that there are people out there who will be supportive. People who tell you that you don't belong, are speaking from a place of fear. They want that label all to themselves.. they don't want anyone else in their little club. Well, let them have their stupid little box, and you just keep doing what feels right to you in spite of their nastiness.

There are so many types of cis women. There are super 'manly' straight cis women, butch lesbians, femme types of all preferences, tall, short, heavy, light... why is there not room for you to be a 'real' lesbian? There is room. Maybe it's like getting on a crowded subway train. There is room... but sometimes you have to just squish yourself in there if people won't move over for you. :wink: