1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A closeted girl wearing a tux to prom?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ThatMDGirl, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ThatMDGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really want to go to prom, but i hate dresses. I would rather wear a tux. I'm really afraid to ask my parents because i'm not out to them yet. I am out to a few friends but that is it. What should I do? Should I just ask my parents and pray to god they don't think anything of it or should I just rip the band-aid off now and tell them i'm gay? How do i even bring up the subject of wearing a tux to prom? I just don't know what to do.

2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just tell them that a tux is what you want to wear. It's your prom not theirs. If they ask why you can say it's what you are most comfortable wearing. If you feel you are ready to come out to them, then do. It's up to how you feel.

Btw, when I was in high school, one of my classmates wore a tux to prom and she was straight.

3. cherry tree

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wanting to wear a tux to prom and sexual orientation don't have to have anything to do with each other. Lile XenaxGabby said, some straight girls might feel more comfortable in a tux, too.

If you want to come out to your parents, that's great. If you don't want to do that right now, just tell them you don't want to wear a dress because it makes you feel uncomfortable and you would rather wear a tux. I think nowadays it's not a big deal anymore when a woman decides to wear something that is not a dress or skirt to a formal occasion.

4. Theron

What's wrong with a tux? They look great on men and women! A friend of mine loves to wear ties and do all kinds of fancy knots, like the Eldridge knot!

5. mapleluv

I recall wearing a suit & tie to at least one to a formal event back in my high school days. It had nothing to do with being a lesbian- I was dating a guy at the time- & everything to do with the fact that I look ridiculously sexy in suits.

I don't think my parents even batted an eye about it, so I'd say just do it. And if they ask why, just shrug & say it's because you want to, because that is why.

Fashion & sexuality really aren't connected, I think it's just that people who go against the "norm" in one area of their life tend to not be afraid of going against the norm in others.

6. PossumJack

My mother has been letting me wear suits to formal events since I was 11 and never suspected I wasn't a straight cis girl until the day I came out to her. Clothing is becoming less and less gendered these days so I think you'll be fine wearing a tux even if you're not out yet. If anyone asks, just tell them you like tuxes, because that's literally why you're wearing one.

7. InTheCloset16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Girl you should be able to wear whatever the hell you want to prom. You wanna wear a tux wear a tux. No one can judge you for being you. And who really cares what they think, if people have a problem with a girl wearing a tux to prom them they can go shove it.

8. David21201

Just tell them you dont care for dresses and would rather a tux. Besides, tuxes are cheaper

9. RainbowBright

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just say it's a fashion statement - you're trendy!

won't be the first hot woman to do this, and you won't be the last!

(If you're really worried about perception, a little eye shadow, or dark nailpolish, a dressy but strong bracelet, or if you can stand it heels [or just men's lift shoes] can make the look appear more feminine if you go with a traditional guys' tux)

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2015 at 06:22 PM ----------

Red lipstick and greased hair is another way to do it:

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2015 at 06:26 PM ----------

Or you can do it old-school:

[​IMG]