1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on family

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vesalius, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if I am posting this in the right section but it doesn't have anything to do with my sexuality and I just really need some help or advice from anyone who might have experienced something similar.

Backstory: My sister recently got married and she didn't choose me to be a bridesmaid because she thought I would be too fat to fit into the bridesmaid dresses she wanted.

My sister is now pregnant and is talking about Christening her baby. We had always talked about christening when she said she wanted children and she had always said she would make me a godmother. Well now she has completely changed her mind and wants no family as God parents because her husband has 3 brothers and they only want the child to have 2 male and 2 female godparents, so the brothers will fall out. I know it is her choice but it really hurts me that she is cutting me out of her celebrations again. I wasn't involved in her wedding at all and I feel that because I'm her only sister that she should want to include me.

This is really upsetting me, should I just let it go and stop being selfish?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, it is her event and she can do as she pleases. Make no mistake however, two can play at that game, you are under no obligation to invite her, or to involve her in your life-events either.

Please do not think of your hurt as being selfish, what she is doing is quite grotty. She is not worthy of you and you need not consider yourself part of her life, she has certainly demonstrated to you on numerous occasions that she does not consider you part of hers.

It is part of loving yourself that you do not put yourself in a position of being refused or invited as a mere guest. It is part of self-respect not to accept being treated this way. Do you really need to go to this event?

Your absence will speak volumes.

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your sister has a problem. Do not let her make her problem yours too.

4. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to be a part of her life and the life of my niece or nephew. I think I'm just an embarrassment to her. If I ever told her about my sexuality I know she would laugh at me and then make fun of me behind my back to her friends and in laws.