1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about job hunting

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GlindaRose, Mar 29, 2015.

1. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently training to be a teacher, and am in the process of hunting for a job. Recently a job opportunity has appeared at a school that I would really love to work in. However, a friend of mine, who is on the same course as I am, is on placement at that school, and is probably looking for a job herself. My question is - Would it be really frowned upon if I applied for the job, knowing full well that my friend probably wants it and will more than likely go for it? Or should I just apply and disregard friendship as a factor, as jobs are competitive these days and it's one I really wouldn't mind having?

2. Yosia

I think the best thing to do would be to discuss it with your friend and try to agree something like whoever gets the job gets it, no hard feelings. ^.^

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yosia has the right idea, and I can agree with that, since you say this is a friend. But, here's the thing...

You mention it yourself, that jobs are competitive. You also say you would "really love" to work at this school. You owe it to yourself to try, and try your best, to get that position. Don't hold back, just because you think you'll hurt some feelings; life doesn't hold back on us, regardless of how we may feel. Remember that.

More importantly, though, that school, and those in it, deserve the best damn teacher possible. You've got the smarts, and you sure as hell have the heart. Go in there, with the intention of promising the finest education experience. If your friend gets it, so be it, hopefully they'll deliver on the teaching. You can always try again, or elsewhere.

All that said, I do want to stress this: you are the type of person that makes a teacher more than, well, a tool. You make them a source of inspiration and guidance, which is what we, this world, need more of.

Go kick ass.

^.~