1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been Thinking About Joining The Army Again

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WolfyFluff, Mar 30, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

I was in the army once and had been discharged for some anxiety issues, but they told me I would have to wait until two years later in order to reenlist again. Now it's been past that two year mark.

I haven't been doing so well handling myself outside the military, but I've made some progress with my anxiety problems. However, I felt that having the freedom to do as I wish has been making me so scared and unable to properly cope.

I've been seeing a few people to take my mind off of things but it feels like I'm not meant to do anything worthwhile wih my life. I'm unemployed, job search in my town is extremely limited, and school became too overwhelming to even continue with an education.

The town I live in seems like hell, and it's a hell that I can't even escape. I want to leave immediately but the only way out takes time. I just wish I could have the patience to endure the negative things in my life and finally leave.

I want to have a job I love, I want to live on my own, and pursue interests that would make me happy. But the only options that come to mind is going to school or re-enlist into the army again. I don't know what I want to major in and I'm so alone at school that I feel like people hate me being there.

I thought about re-enlistment a couple of times. One part of me tells me it's a good idea in the long run. I would have job security again, and I would be living on my own in a sense once more. The other part of me warns me about all of the negatives that come with it again, and I would have to abide by strict rules and a strict lifestyle that could possibly even break me mentally the second time around. I would have to forget about discovering my self and just go through another term.

I thought about school once again. I would have to be on academic probation again and deal with certain restrictions. I don't know, I would end up feeling alone at the school. That's something I hate to feel.

I feel like my life has come to a halt and there's no way to go forward anywhere. This town is like a prison where I would waste my entire life.

2. Cesar123

Hey wolfyfluff! First thank you for your service to our country. I am also looking at the possibly of a military career and it really brightened my day to meet someone in this community that share/shared this same interest.

In my opinion, I would take school route. The reason I say this is because if your not mentally prepared to reenlist in the military, I can really damage your mind further and would just cause you to be discharged again! No one hates you in your school! I would suggest going to a school as far away as you can get, take a part time job, and use your post 9/11 GI bill to cover expenses. Look into the private schools that offer the yellow ribbon program! Georgetown is super military friendly university with and awesome yellow ribbon program. You can also join clubs and various organizations that will get you meeting new people. Likewise you would have access to a therapist which can help with your anxiety.

The reason you feel like your life is at a halt is because you are not doing much and are uncertain of your future. If you can find a therapist now that can help you with your anxiety that would really get the ball rolling for you to go back to school. If during your therapy you feel mentally prepared for the military again than I say go for it!

Cheers Dude!
    Cesar

3. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not wish to offend you or anyone else, but I would advise against it. There are many other job opportunities where you don't have to risk your life for a dysfunctional system.