1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my mom today and now I feel awful?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lesbian928368, Mar 30, 2015.

1. lesbian928368

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I came out to my mom today. I wasn't ready but I started crying when she asked me if I like girls. So I kind of had too. I don't blame her because the conversation was heading that way anyways. After I told her I felt sooo sick to my stomach and I felt just awful. It was also super awkward since I was being such a cry baby. I thought I would feel happy and free when I came out. But I just feel even worse. I'm 17 and held this secret in forever. I thought it would make me happy. How can I feel better? I just feel so awful and sick to my stomach. Now I don't think I'll ever come out to someone again. Did you feel this way too when you came out? :confused:

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I've sorta felt that way when after my parents have asked me if I'm gay (I have always answered a prompt and definite no to that question), and I think that is because I wasn't ready to discuss the topic with them. Now, so far, with everyone I've come out to, I've pretty much always been scared going into it, but felt better after coming out.

For example, last week when I called my chief medical officer to come out to her, I was shaking, when she answered, my voice was trembling... She could definitely tell I had something big on my mind. After, I was much calmer and at ease. She's really the first critical person in my life that I was worried about the reaction from coming out to. When I came out to my cousin, I kinda figured she'd react OK, but she was also still in the scared shock of coming out and not yet having the reaction back. (she came out by letter) I'm still fairly worried about how my parents will react when I come out in about a week.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did when I accidentally came out as a lesbian. It goes away after a while. Also crying is pretty normal doesn't make you a "cry baby".

4. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I felt the same. I was kinda outed so I wasn't really ready either, and I cried a ton. It was really embarrassing, I hate being vulnerable or emotional like that. I've felt really awkward about it ever since.

5. MojoDojo

I did kind of feel awful right when I came out - but only because I had held it in for so long because I was scared of the reaction. When it wasn't what I expected (on the good side), I think all that anxiety and stress from hiding it and pretending I was something I wasn't made me physically ill for the next week or so. Also, stepping into a different world where you aren't hiding from everyone is a huge change and can feel terrible at first.

Also, I cried when I came out. Partially from stress, partially from relief.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a difference between coming out on our own terms, at a time that we have pre-planned and being put on the spot and forced to admit or deny our sexuality. If you have considered everything carefully and rehearsed in your mind how you intend to come out it's empowering and makes it somewhat easier, but if you are confronted with questions about your feelings it's very different, as you have discovered. It's rather like being exposed and when that happens our emotions can run off in a totally uncontrolled way and it's far from pleasant. So don't beat yourself up about this - it's really not surprising that you're feeling low and dejected about the way it seemed to unravel. The good thing is that you didn't retreat into the closet by denying the truth, so try to focus on that.

Give it a bit of time and allow yourself to recover and then think about how you would prefer to come out to other people. What can you take from this experience to make it go better for you in future? Just because this didn't go according to plan, it's not to say it will always be like this.

How did your mom react to the news?

7. Peanuts

Hi there!

I remember the first time that I came out to anyone at all, I spent several hours shaking and crying just mulling over my decision. I definitely did not feel good, and that was after coming out to my best friend--I was scared because I struggled so much with telling the closest person in my life, so I wasn't sure how I was going to tell anyone else. There's nothing wrong with crying a lot, either. :slight_smile: It's a big step to take, so there are bound to be some emotions involved.

It is definitely scary and overwhelming, so I totally understand what you're feeling, especially since it's something you've been holding in for such a long time. For some people, it can be cathartic to come out, but for others, it may not be like that. If you are not comfortable with telling others after this experience, that is totally fine--no one can make you come out, and I recommend only doing it when you know you are comfortable and ready. Even so, I think it is really brave of you and that you're really strong to be handling this as well as you are. Allow yourself time to absorb what happened, and maybe do some breathing exercises.

How does your mom feel, if you don't mind me asking?

8. lesbian928368

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the replies. I'm new to this site so I'm not exactly sure how to reply to each and everyone of you. But for those who asked, my mom was okay about it and said she loved me no matter what. However, she did ask a lot of questions which made me uncomfortable. I still feel a bit weird today, but I feel better than yesterday. I appreciate your replies and they made me feel a bit better. Thanks!