1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isolated!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by katieklass, Apr 1, 2015.

1. katieklass

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi i'm Katie, I'm new to this, this is the first time I have ever told anybody about my sexuality , so I apologize for the awkwardness. I am 17 and a lesbian. (I don't know if you recognize how hard that that was to type.. but it was.)

I live in a small rural town where there is no form of LGBT community despite infrequent annual events which I can never go to because my dad is on the police force and I am scared of someone he works with recognizing me and telling him... which I fear would ruin my chances of university.

I do not know a single LGBT person in my life or in my social group so I feel completely alone. I feel trapped and isolated from acceptance or a community. I get times when i'm really down and sad , i just sit in my room and cry and do nothing because nobody understands.

I don't know what you could say or do to help me but just writing my feelings down has released some of the crap that is overfilling my head at the moment.
    so, thankyou.

2. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Katie. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to type this online. I am sorry to hear about the small town and not knowing anyone else who might be gay. It sounds tough, but it does help to talk about it. If nothing else it helps to get some of the emotions off your chest and hopefully typing your feelings out will help a little.

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi katieklass, welcome to EC. I can understand it's not easy for you, especially when you don't know any LGBT person in real life.
    Can you please do something for me and especially for yourself?
    It may sound stupid, I know, but could you, every time before you go to sleep, repeat this line a few times: I deserve to have lesbian friends and I accept it now. It doesn't need to be the exact words, you may add some adjectives to describe what friends you want for example, just keep it positive, okay? The Universe is listening and will help you to make it come true. (*hug*)

4. Sweetberry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey girl! I hope you're still feeling relieved. I know what you mean about typing it out. It takes a lot of strength. I sat a stared at my comp screen for a little while, typed my first post like four different times aha. So congrats you did it! I don't know how close you are to going to Uni but I'm sure they will have some sort of LGBT community on campus :slight_smile:

I also live in a community with no LGBT representation (it's highly religious up in here haha). So I get you! I feel you! I joined for the same reason. Feeling alone. Isolated, and just tired of having NO one to talk to. I haven't talked to anyone yet but posting supportive msgs and writing out how I feel has been great. So welcome! Keep posting! and I hope you're enjoying your day!

5. Kua

Kua

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Katie! I can definitely relate to how hard it is to write. It took me 15 min just to choose in the "orientation menu" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But you did it, so yeeeay!! (!!)

What do you mean when you say it might ruin your chances to go to uni?

6. guitar

Hi Katie,
    I thought I replied to this thread a few days ago but it must not have gone through :frowning2:
    It sounds like you're in a tough spot being isolated from other LGBT people. The good news is the internet is a great place to meet other LGBT people, including this forum :slight_smile:
    University should hopefully be a good place to meet other LGBT people & allies. Most Uni's have some sort of LGBT group. Give it some time, things will improve (*hug*)

7. katieklass

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, sorry for my super late replies. I stopped myself from going online for a while , whilst i took my exams , it was just getting too overwhelming and messed up in my head, but thankyou so much for your advice and support. It made me really happy to open up and see this :icon_bigg:icon_wink

Things are still the same for me really, i'm trying to be patient but university is a year away and i'm just so desperate to be out and meet people and you know just live..

Anyway thanks again for the reassurance and hope.

---------- Post added 29th May 2015 at 11:37 AM ----------

hiya! thankyou for your message, it feels good to know that even though i feel lonely i am not alone... so thankyou.

To answer your question - because i am unsure on how my dad will react i fear that my family will not financially support my further education. I have a job and am saving up for uni but my family have said they will contribute, especially at the start as i am planning on going somewhere (anywhere) far from this place.

sorry for my ramble :icon_wink thanks again !

#7 katieklass, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015