1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going for a student exchange to Brussels

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Son of Sun, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello!

So, finally I decided to enroll on the Erasmus exchange programme, I've been assigned to Brussels. Wow, almost exactly as I wanted! (!)

I will be there for 3-4 months, maybe I will try to share flat with other students from my university. It may be quite problematic, since I'm used to living alone in my flat. :eusa_doh:

Generally speaking, I feel excited about the trip, that's also an opportunity to get to know different cultures, people and to overcome dozens of my fears.

I don't feel it coming, but I know that my anxiety will rise as the exchange date will be closer. I am definitely not a party person, I value my privacy quite a lot, I have some problems with meeting new people. :eek:

Does anyone have experience from such exchanges or any piece of advice? It may be really tough, because I will not have a shelter to hide from people after a hard day.
    More practically speaking - any good site to meet people or find a room?

Thanks for any help! :help:

2. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, congratulations on your choice! I am excited for you. It's a mistake to try and figure out how to make arrangements for the "new you" while still being the old you. You are not that person yet. The issues of not being a party person, valuing your privacy, meeting new people... that was the old you. You can't rely on that anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the old you is bad or wrong, but you must allow space for the new you to take hold, even without knowing who that person is yet. It is tough, I know. Try not to react to your anxiety. Wait until you are established to make changes to your arrangements.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    try it as an opportunity to live differently - as it is only for 3-4 months it is not forever

maybe you will get on fine with the housemates?

you will be in a great place to explore Europe too - the train networks are amazing and you can do serious day/ week end trips to Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, London and more...