1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is dysphoria only a trans thing?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by choirsmash, Apr 4, 2015.

1. choirsmash

I see a lot about dysphoria in regards to trans people, but I think I feel it too. Not like with my gender but just uncomfortable with myself. Is it possible that I'm experiencing dysphoria too?

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Yes. The definition of dysphoria is just "a state of unease or generalized dissatisfaction with life." When trans people talk about dysphoria, they specifically mean gender dysphoria, but most people simply just call it dysphoria.

3. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In the context of gender identity it means feeling uncomfortable in one's body. In a broader sense, this uncomfortable sensation is usually depression or agitation about anything in particular.
    Depends on how you use it, but in this community it most commonly refers to transgenders. We all have this "dysphoria" when have have low self-esteem or feel we don't look good enough.

4. choirsmash

It's more that I feel like I'm broken and need to be fixed. I feel so different. It feels like there is something majorly wrong with me because of who I'm attracted to. No matter how much I try to tell myself there is nothing wrong with me, I still can't accept it like that. It's hard to explain..

5. June Cleaver

it's normal (for lack of a better word) at your age to feel like there is something to worry about I think no matter the focus. My son at 16 would endlessly look at his face commenting on every angle looking like Michael his father and he hated it and felt so depressed! One day I told him how blesses he was to look like him and pointed out women throw themselves at Michael and after all I thought he was the best looking man and felt so lucky to be Mike's girl. Chance thought about it and said your right June I just never thought about it that way. Now you are focusing on a different topic, but the principal is the same. There is nothing broken, just accept who you are and run with it! you are at a age you are still experimenting with life, as you are not going to be married with 2.5 children and 3 cars by tomorrow lol!{in my time that was considered the American dream, I dont mean to say you need that as a goal but was attempting humor} Give yourself time to develop naturally and don't be so hard on yourself! June