1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I A Germaphobe?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TeaCupQueer, Apr 5, 2015.

1. TeaCupQueer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So my friend had this puppy a while ago and she used to let it lick her on and inside her mouth. I can barely even stand an animal in my face or even touching them most of the time so I found this disgusting. I have obsessive compulsive disorder but not the cleaning kind, although I'm starting to wonder if I have the cleaning kind too. They once wanted me to hold their dog on the way home from their grandma's and I completely freaked out. I didn't want to touch it. They looked at me like I was crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, I just don't like touching them and being around their feces makes me gag.

Also I often have problems with touching other people or them touching me. Shaking hands, hugging, kissing, they all make me uncomfortable. This guy at the mall wanted to touch my hand for some product demo and I completely freaked out. I can't even touch my friends without wanting to bathe. Am I germaphobe?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of the things you describe seem perfectly reasonable to me. I own two dogs and I wouldn't allow either of them to lick me, nor am I particularly happy when I have to clean up after them (even though it's a necessity). If the discomfort that comes from touching, hugging and/or kissing other people can be directly attributed to a fear of germs then it might be worth looking at your anxiety with a qualified person. I'm afraid we are not qualified to say.

3. TeaCupQueer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Licking inside of her mouth? She french kissed her dog? O_O

5. Sonic

Sonic Guest

I am a germaphobe, but strangely it's not related to animals. I wouldn't stick my tongue in a dog though (wtf?) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Me I have this thing where I really want to wash my hands after touching stuff that everyone else's touched. But it's only a problem if it becomes a major issue in your life, if it's really interfering with daily life.

If it's a problem for you, there's actually a bunch of tips online about dealing with this kind of stuff (in the category ocd). If that doesn't help there's always the option of talking to someone professional.

6. BonnieJ2604

I find her kissing a dog on the inside of its mouth, disgusting.
    I am OCD but only with certain things, for example in all of my classes I have to sit in an exact spot.
    There are many places online where you can deal with OCD or germaphobia
    OCD
    www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/adult_hmocd.pdf
    www.helpguide.org/articles/.../obssessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd.htm
    GERMAPHOBE
    Germaphobes - obsession with sanitation is actually a sign of obsessive-compulsive disorder on MedicineNet.com
    Germaphobia - HealthLEADER
    Best Wishes
    -Bonnie<3