1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People freak out over sexuality, but not gender?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Im Hazel, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Im Hazel

Firstly, I do not intend to offend or target anyone. So, sorry in advance if that is the case.

Something I have noticed on this forum are people saying "oh my god, I think I'm gay..." etc. And then they say how unsure and worried they are about labels, even though they know their feelings.

Then I see the opposite in threads about gender identity - people say they know they are trans (etc.), and always have done, and are totally sure.

I know that for me It's the other way round - I know 100% that I like men, but I have no idea over my gender. So why do people say that? I can't understand it, usually. (There are exceptions to the afformentioned things.)

Thank you for your time.

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I questioned my gender on here for a very long time. Never really questioned my sexuality.

3. SquidwardT

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe cause people start to have a sense of gender very very young so some people have more time to process it before they actively start questioning while sexuality comes a little later.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Gender is an easy concept for young kids to understand. They are very interested in gender and different roles at a young age. Even toddlers can know their gender and grow up with the same feelings.

Sexuality isn't really understood by kids of a young age. Kids are sexual to some small extent (masturbation, "playing doctor" ), but they tend to not have any interest in other people (usually finding it gross). It's with the hormones first kick in that we start to get confused.