1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Weekend With My Homophobic Grandparents

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by David21201, Apr 5, 2015.

1. David21201

:help:Hey guys,

I could really use some support and advice. I'm staying with my homophobic grandparents for a few days.

We were watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and a lesbian couple was one. Both of my grandparents were saying things such as "two black lesbians? oh disgusting", "i hope thos two enjoy hell", or "damn gays should be with men".

They are extremely homophobic, rascist, and sexist. I have no clue how I'm going to fucking last until Tuesday with them....

Do you have any advice on how to deal with them? :help:

2. MathMan

Hmmm, don't be near them if you can. Try not to judge them for how they feel if possible. My experience has been that grandparents are usually the worst when it comes to that backwards thinking because when they were younger people were not treated equally despite skin color or sexuality and it was the norm.
    I would try to avoid tv or topics about any of those issues. I know my grandmother and grandfather were so full of love it felt unreal, but then again they were also so backwards and conservative it was crazy. So try to enjoy their company but avoid topics like sexuality,race,or religion if possible.

3. robotman

I know how you feel. I have family members who would feel the same way about me if they found out and they are extremely homophobic. My dad was very homophobic and I didn't tell me about my until I told my mum and my sister and it built up so much. I won't go into too much detail about it because I eventually told him and do you know what he said to me? He said "I still love you the same, you are my son"... He still used it against me after that whenever we have an argument but he didn't react as bad as I was expecting. I am not saying go and tell your Grandparents because I haven't told mine at all but what I will say is don't take it to heart too much.

They grew up in a completely different era to us and they aren't used to all this accepting and stuff. Try and just ignore it for now if you can or change the subject, if you are finding it too difficult just try and get out of spending time with them. I know that it is easier said then done but stay strong. As long as you know what is right and wrong and what is acceptable, then it doesn't matter what they say. Whenever some family member says something to me that I know is complete wrong/ignorant I say the simple words "why"... They may give a silly excuse but as long as you explain yourself and leave it as that they know where you stand on the matter. It might not change how they think but atleast they know how you feel about the situation.

4. robotman

Yikes, I just re-read my post^^. Please ignore the bad English, it was very late at night when I posted that message lol :S...