1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self pity?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by pointofnoreturn, Apr 5, 2015.

1. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, just to explain- I've had five or six self harm relapses, I'm pretty sure I have depression, I'm disabled, and my dad keeps yelling at me to stop " wallowing in self pity" because I hate being disabled.
    But I've read about trying to stop self pity, and everything I read mentions finding a solution to the problem. THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO BEING DISABLED. NONE. A cheery, inspirational attitude-for me, anyway- won't solve anything; focusing on my passions won't do anything either, because no matter what I do I will always be this.
    Please help me; I want my relationship with him to be better but I don't know how to make him understand.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you talked to a professional counselor, especially one with personal or work experience with disabled people?

3. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My dad is planning on taking me to a shrink. He's pissed about it of course, but at least it's something.

4. plesiosaur18

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would definitely suggest seeking professional help. You most likely have depression, and that's not something a little advice and a positive outlook can fix, like you were saying. Professionals do know what to do in these situations though. My best advice is to try as hard as you can to have an open attitude if you are able to see a therapist.