1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Triggers

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by waitwhat, Apr 6, 2015.

1. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

There are a lot of songs that I had listened to during some bad times in my life, and now every time I hear them, they trigger those bad memories and make me feel awful. Is there anyway to work through that so I don't get depressed when I hear those songs?

2. MyBloodIsBlack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fell ya. Whenever i listen to "Flavor" or "space dogs" by Tori Amos it reminds of my lost childhood:'(
    I personally like listening to those songs that make me sad. They remind me of how strong those bad times made me, and how not to take what i have now for granted because it could be worse... But if you REALLY don't wanna remember id say just don listen to em'

3. stimpacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe don't listen to those songs until you've fully moved on.

4. Hyliana

Hyliana Guest

Though i've never had any memories triggered from song i've definitely had moods triggered.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say don't listen to them if they make you feel a certain way or bring up unhappy memories. "Bullet" by Hollywood Undead brings me back to my ideation days shortly before my hospitalizations to the point where I can vividly recall what the unit looked and smelt like.

6. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bob Seger's "Night Moves."

It's like he's mocking me, rubbing it in my face that he and so many others had so many experiences as a young person and he's masturbatorily reflecting on it in such a way that says "Look how much better I am than you."

Though I do like "Hollywood Nights."

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, I didn't get that superior tone. I just see the song as a sort of teenage fantasy from a bygone era, and leave it at that. I love all his music <3

I got a little bit of a trigger from Avril Lavigne's "Let Go" album though, because it was the one I was listening to when I got into my car accident that shattered my sweet '08 coupe. I still listen to the cd though; time has healed the worst lingering pains. That and getting a newer (still not as awesome) car. *sighs*

8. Jellal

I can't handle Victim by Avenged Sevenfold. Listening to it just puts me in a bad place.