1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic parents and everything that goes with it

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ruby Dragon, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out in a letter to my parents at a time where I thought I was a lesbian. I've been questioning my sexuality and experimented with it ever since I can remember. One of my cousin's friends is a lesbian and she's engaged to a lovely woman. My cousin's other friend is also clearly a lesbian, and we all suspect that she and my cousin are in a relationship, though my cousin hasn't come out ... yet.

Well, the four of them live together and the subject came up at one of our family gatherings (my cousin and her girlfriend (?) wasn't there yet). My mom and uncle started talking about homosexuality and my uncle said that if one of his children came out as gay, he'd accept it and be supportive. He's pretty open-minded about it. So is my aunt. But my own parents are extremely homophobic and it hurts to know that they will never accept that part of me. My mom said to my uncle that I tried that trick with them (Seriously? A trick?) but it backfired because they didn't and won't accept it. It was on the tip of my tongue to tell her there and then that I'm bisexual and if she can't accept it then so be it. BUT I bit my tongue. Much as I wanted to say it. It was the perfect time. But I was scared that it would seem like I'm seeking attention or something.

That particular discussion has stuck with me (It was on 28th March this year) and I deeply regret not having said anything. Maybe I should write them another letter, explaining exactly what's going on in my mind. But they probably won't believe me. They think it was just a phase I was going through. It hurts. They don't believe there is something like bisexuality, as far as I can tell. That hurts even more.

So I don't know where to go from here. I'm attracted to men AND women, and that has never changed, though I went through a couple of questioning stages. It's a part of myself that I cannot change, and don't want to change. It makes me who I am and I wish things were different with my parents. I don't want to have to stay in the closet again. I want to be free, express myself openly and just live my life to the max. But it's hard because I know my parents won't accept it, and probably won't change their views. I often have to hear the "Homosexuality is a sin, and goes against what I believe in" speech, and I cringe every single time. I won't get used to it, ever. I consider myself a Christian, but my mom says that I can't support homosexuality and identify as a Christian at the same time. That hurts me a lot.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Do I write them another letter and tell them exactly what's going on in my life, or do I let it go and keep living only half a life?

:tears: :icon_sad: :frowning2:

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While the time has passed during the conversation, nothing should stop you from sitting down with them and clarify for them that it is not a choice for you. Also consider talking with your other extended family first to build your support base, then revisit with them.

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, this is really a question of who owns this. I'm sorry, I know you love your parents and I'm sure they are good people in other ways, but this kind of control thing from parents really pisses me off. Parents don't own their children. They never do. Their responsibility is to care and nurture them. They don't have the right to decide who they are.

Assume for a moment you had parents like your uncle instead. What would you be saying to them about your orientation at this point? Nothing right? Because you already said it in the letter you wrote. But your parents don't accept what you wrote. In that letter you said, "I own this" and by your mother calling it a "trick" she has decided to cancel your letter. But what if she can't cancel your letter? What reaction would you have then? Again, nothing right? So don't respond.

My first partner had parents like yours and when we got serious I went to their house to meet them for dinner. It was hugely stressful but nothing bad happened. But I was really proud of him afterward and I think it helped him to feel like he was really taking control of his life for the first time.

So, that too is what I wish for you. My advice is to let this roll off you like water off a ducks back. Don't waste time on it. Get on with your life. Be with someone you choose to be with. If it's a guy then, hey, you are straight, if it's a gal, then, okay, you are gay. Let your relationship define your aspect and not the other way around.

Forget your parents for a while. Go find that special person of your dreams. And when you do, tell your mother that the trick never was in discovering you orientation. But in discovering that single soul that happens to inhabit two bodies.

#3 Monraffe, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My extended family seems supportive. Or at the very least, indifferent. They accept me for who I am, and don't judge. So that's not a problem. My biggest obstacle is my parents. (And sister). They are appalled by anything homosexual in nature. I feel a sense of dread whenever something even slightly gay comes on tv, because I know they will react negatively. It's that bad. They'd even change the channel or walk out of the room or something more drastic. I wish they could be more open-minded and less judgemental of people whose interests differ from theirs. It's not like they're perfect either so I don't get why they have to make such a big deal of it. Just say "Ok, cool" and let it be. Lol

Yes, I love my parents very much. I just hate how they treat people who are "different" than their "ideal". It sucks because LGBT people will always be shunned by them, and others who share the same views ("Homosexuality is a sin" type of mindset).

Oh wouldn't that be total bliss! If it would be a none-issue and just a "matter-of-fact" type thing, like when I say I don't like a certain type of clothing or colour or something.

Thank you for your well wishes. I just want to set them straight so they know what's going on in my life, and so they'd be better prepared for the future. I know that they will never allow a girlfriend of mine into their home, so I'll have to introduce someone like that as a friend, and they won't think much of it. Why does it have to be so damn complicated? I wish I could change their views but I know that's impossible so I have to accept that they're homophobic and always will be.

I just feel like they deserve to know about my romantic/sexual interests, because I don't want to have such a big secret hanging over my head.

For now though, I'll take the advice and just let it be. Go with the flow sort of thing.

Thanks for both of your replies (*hug*)

5. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After making this thread, I typed out a long letter, and I felt ready to give it to them when I got home. But when I got home, I got scared and I ended up tearing the letter up and throwing it away. I'm hoping my mom will go through my trash and come across it, but she probably won't so I went through all the trouble and emotions of writing (typing) a letter, only to chicken out and throw it away. All for nothing. I'm such an idiot. Why is it so hard? I mean, I came out once, and that was a pretty big deal. So why not a second time? What am I afraid of? Their reaction? :bang:

Rhetorical questions, but I'm just trying to make sense of it all :eusa_doh:

6. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

I must be the biggest idiot ever!!!

I tore the letter into three pieces and tossed it in the trash. But then I felt like maybe I should wait a bit, so I put it under my bedside lamp, sticking out slightly, in the hopes that she'd see it and read it. Well, that worked. She read the letter and confronted me about it when I got home a few minutes ago. She said in an angry tone that I must do whatever makes me happy, and then after I walked away, she came into the room I was in and she said, "So tell her that I said it's ok". She thought I wrote that letter because I had a girlfriend again, like with the first letter I wrote. I told her that I don't have anybody special in my life. She's going to talk to my dad about it too, so I'm already preparing for the huge fight about to ensue. I'm such a fucking retard!!! Why didn't I just throw it away, like I wanted to do? Now everything's a mess again. Fucking idiot!!! :bang:

7. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going by the stages of grief/acceptance, I think my mom is at the bargaining stage (Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance). I didn't realize that this could take so long to progress, but at least we're getting somewhere, and that's reassuring.

I cannot remember her exact words, but she said something along the lines of, "I understand and accept your decisions, but just know that I still don't support or condone it"

There's a shimmer of hope :grin:

I'm just going to leave things the way they are now, we're on good grounds. She confides in me when something is bothering her, so we're pretty close. I don't know who she spoke to about the contents of the letter, but there hasn't been any fights or arguments other than what she'd said to me herself. Maybe she chose to keep it between us two. I don't know :shrug:

I just feel so relieved now that it's out in the open.

The only "terms and conditions" she gave was that I don't go ahead and post lots of stuff about my sexuality on Facebook again. Well, I already did, but subtlety was key. Just posted a little bit of text I typed about it turning out to be more than a phase, with the equality sign as a picture with that piece of text, and I modified that picture by putting the bisexual flag in the bottom right corner. It looks kinda silly but I didn't want to blurt it all out again like I did the first (few) time(s)... :rolle:

So, apart from posting that, what more can I do to get the message out there, but still remain "under the radar" to people who might not be so clued up about these things, and who might take offence or do something drastic like unfriend me? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I "liked" the LGBT News page the last time, but ended up "unliking" it, because it caused many ructions, especially when I reposted stuff that came up from that page...

I'm thinking of searching for something similar and "liking" that page too. It would show up on my news feed that I've "liked" that page, and I think that would be enough to let people know what I'm on about. Time to peruse Facebook for that perfect page, lol.

That was just a long ramble, but I just wanted to post an update to the ones following this thread.

Thanks for reading! (*hug*) :smilewave

8. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had a birthday celebration at their house on Sunday, and I think my sister and parents are finally starting to sort of accept homosexuality. At least in this case. The subject came up on Monday evening, and my sister said, "I don't condone it but in this case I think it's ok because they're not "in your face" about it. They just carry on in a normal fashion and their sexuality isn't shoved down people's throats" My mom agreed with her statement, so I think there's hope. Or am I reading too much into it?

9. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

Hi, :slight_smile: I can't really help with your specific situation but I think the other people who replied are giving you sound advice. I actually just wanted to say how nice it is to see someone from SA here. I grew up in Namibia so it's always nice seeing people here from a country that close to home.
    Anyways I hope you're parents do eventually come around somehow. Good luck with everything:thumbsup:

10. BluhImCourtney

You know what I like to say to homophobic Christian parents, or homophobic Christians in general?

Ruth and Naomi.

“Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.” (ESV 1:16-17)

"The same Hebrew word that is used in Genesis 2:24 to describe how Adam felt about Eve (and how spouses are supposed to feel toward each other) is used in Ruth 1:14 to describe how Ruth felt about Naomi. Her feelings are celebrated, not condemned.
    And throughout Christian history, Ruth's vow to Naomi has been used to illustrate the nature of the marriage covenant. These words are often read at Christian wedding ceremonies and used in sermons to illustrate the ideal love that spouses should have for one another. The fact that these words were originally spoken by one woman to another tells us a lot about how God feels about same-gender relationships."

Sorry about the the long copy pasting. But this is a good argument for marriage equality and same-sex/gender relations.

By the way, just putting this here, even though I copy pasted the entire thing. (Exaggeration) http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblical_evidence/ruth_naomi.html

11. Femminist

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry that your parents aren't as accepting as your uncle and aunt. :frowning2: It's the opposite problem for me- my parents are cool but my dad's side of the family is really homophobic and every time they ask me if I have a boyfriend I cringe a little. They don't know anything because I'm so scared of their reactions. :frowning2:

12. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear about this! I haven't come out yet, but my family is pretty accepting of gay and bi people. The only person that is probably going to have trouble accepting me is my stepdad. He's not religious, he just thinks being gay is "unnatural" and "disgusting". It hurts me to know that he thinks that way. :icon_sad:

13. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As an atheist, I must say that we have absolutely no reason to act this way.
    I'll put it this way: only one species in homophopic. If you ask me, that is unnatural.
    Animals don't care about being "straight": Ducks, girraffes, dogs, monkeys, dragonflies, apes, lions, hyenas, lizards... spiders even: they just do it. There's an entire wiki page dedicated to it. I mean, that's nature. How is it unnatural?

I say that if you are going to live your life based around facts and evidence, do not pick and choose. That's what we call a hypocrite. Nobody likes a hypocrite. :eusa_naug

14. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly! Thank you! :eusa_clap