1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal advice about overcoming that fear to connect?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Justabutt, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Justabutt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a 21 year old openly out gay male - I've had two relationships with males in my life, besides fooling around when I was younger, that have been more about sex than about romance. I come from a very poor family background - my parents both had me when they were very young (17-19, mom and dad) and due to it never advanced their education therefore living modest. My teeth have been crooked my entire life and it adds a lot of social and emotional turmoil.

I've recently taken the opportunity to sign up for a couple dating sites to see who is in my area and grow more connected but so far what's started off as compliments and easy conversations quickly lead to them judging my smile. I can see when I smile they're turned off and uneasy and it's saddening because I am fit and take time to ensure that we connect via skype voice before we meet. all this has lead to a chronic case of depression to which my doctor has requested I seek help. I've spoken to many orthodontists about setting up a payment plan but unfortunately it has all been outside my college size budget - Ranging from 6500 to 9000 dollars with the minimum down payment being no less than 2500.

I've had new people express their desire to meet me through *******, yet I find it hard due to my past experiences. I've felt like I've have to settle with someone I am either not interested in or not attracted towards. It's not like my standards are even that high - What really interests me is someone who has like minded hobbies and someone around my age/body weight(160lbs).

Would you consider a crooked smile to be something that is a deal breaker or would the person have to be extraordinary to be considered for a romantic relationship?

Attached Files:

2. healthjunkie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that, generally speaking, people on dating sites tend to judge more on appearance and looks; a guy you're talking to online doesn't have a whole lot to look for and compliment other than your looks until he gets to actually spend some time with you and know you properly. However, I believe that if you were to meet a guy in 'real life' it shouldn't be a problem. Your smile doesn't define you, but your personality, attitude and confidence does. Hope this helps!

3. Really

If you have a university near you that has a dental school, you might check if they teach orthodontics. I'm pretty sure it would be way less expensive.