1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by itsmary, Apr 10, 2015.

1. itsmary

Hey guys. I wanted to talk about my problem with people.

I actually ENJOY making friends and participating in small groups discussions but when it comes to talking in public... Wow I'm terrified!
    I mean, I don't really care what people thinks about me but there's something that pushes me back. I would love to participate in class & share my ideas but the feeling that someone is judging me is too much...

This won't happen among strangers. I can talk in front of 30 people as long as any of them knows me but I can't speak in front of my classmates. What's the problem?

I want to solve this problem before I enter university because I would love to be able to share my thoughts :slight_smile:

2. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

You're just letting others make you feel inferior. I have struggled with social anxiety for a long time Mary :slight_smile: See a psychologist or.. you know.. talk to me if you want (*hug*) Feel better! x

3. itsmary

Thank you Chloe :slight_smile: I think that may be the problem. I (sometimes) enjoy talking in public but I'm afraid of people judging :frowning2:

4. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

As I and the jews always say:

[​IMG]

5. itsmary

Hahaha I love that, you're right :'D

6. randomly me

randomly me Guest

MMh..if you don't have fear of talking to strangers it might be the fact that they know you.If you screw up in front of strangers it doesn't really have any after effect but your classmates are people you see everyday.
    Ignoring the fact that you're talking to people and just talk as if you're checking one point after another in your head could help.

7. itsmary

Yeah, it's the fact that I know them. I will try but I think that I need more help, like pills o something

8. randomly me

randomly me Guest

i wouldn't take pills.If you take them then you never learn it and have to rely to them for the rest of your life.therapist is a better option.

9. itsmary

Spanish therapists aren't very good...

10. freedomfighter

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi itsmary :slight_smile:

I deal with this too. For me, it's about being comfortable in my own skin and truly not caring what others think. I was there at one point, though I need to get back there again, lol. Also, to me, it's about being confident in myself and what I'm speaking about. Because when we really aren't concerned about what others will say or embarrassing ourselves, I think we can speak confidently. One thing I learned was to use humor at some point if that's appropriate because it kind of disarms and breaks the tension.

Best to you and I'm sure you're going to do well.

11. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi itsmary,

Like everyone in this thread, I too have dealt with anxiety. The best thing to do is to go with what makes you comfortable, the most important thing is to not fight against anxiety because it will fight back...I learnt the hard way. Don't feel bad that you are experiencing anxiety/stress because there are confident people who experience anxiety/stress also, because oddly, as much as it's annoying we still need to have anxiety in order to keep safe so we know which situations are dangerous and which are not.

I know the feeling, where you feel like you have this siren in your head and you start to have those uncomfortable feelings. If you start feel those awkward feelings, if you are speaking in front of people, you have to think about it logically. Having a fear of speaking in front is a normal fear, but the audience is not to get you if anything they want to support you, when you speak and give you positive reinforcement. If that doesn't help, think of someone you are giving the speech to, maybe a family member, a friend or someone you know, so it's less daunting and less feeling like you are digging yourself a mental hole to get of it.

Everyone will give their own point of view of how they cope with it, so remember to go with what makes you feel comfortable and you'll do fine.

12. itsmary

Thank you so much for your responses!

I'm gonna try hard because I know I can do it. I just need more time and maybe some help! I've overcomed other kinds of anxiety so I know I can kick this one too!