1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definitions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by hiimpaul2014, Apr 10, 2015.

1. hiimpaul2014

This is going to be weird especially since I have been here a while but could someone define a few terms used the lgbtq community? Im a little confused on these

Cis

Bi curious vs bisexual

demi sexual vs pan sexual

Those terms when someone is homoromantic but not homosexual. (Or any variation)

When to use transman vs trans woman.

I don't want to offend anyone by using the wrong terms so I'm asking here for clarification.

2. Im Hazel

Cis or cisgender is where your sex and gender match. For example, if you are born a girl and identify as female.

Bi-curious is where you identify as straight, but are exploring your sexuality further (specifically if you like people of the same gender.). Bisexual is where you know that you like boys & girls (and usually "people inbetween".)

Pansexual is the same as bisexual, but it explicitly states you are attracted to non-binary, gender-ambiguous and/or intersex people as well. Demisexual is completley different - it refers to disliking casual sex, and only engaging in sexual intercourse with people you trust. It is fairly vague, and interpretations can vary a lot.

Homoromantic is where you are romantically atracted to someone of the same gender. That does not necessarily mean that you want to have sex with them. Homosexual is where you want to have sex with someone of the same gender, but not necissarily become romantically involved.

Transman is someone (usually) born a woman, who now identifies as male. (Use he/him/his.) Trans-woman is (usually) someone born male, who now identifies as female. (Use she/her/her.)

For referance, all of these terms have Wikipedia articles and Urban Dictionary entries. But it is best to check with people who know, so no worries. :slight_smile:

#2 Im Hazel, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Okay, good you asked so that you won't offend anyone :slight_smile:

Cis female - Born with female genitalia, Designed Female At Birth, identifies as female. In other words, what most people are. Same with cis male.
    Bicurious - can want to have sex with non-preffered sex or gender, but may not want it as much and may not be able to fall in love with non-preffered sex or gender
    Bisexual - Sexually and/or romantically interested in two sexes, commonly male and female. I am an example here : ) I like both boys and girls and have been in love with both boys and girls.
    Demisexuals can often not feel sexual attraction toward someone unless in love with that someone or having an emotional connection with that someone
    Pansexuals don't care about gender or sex of a person they're pining for or active with
    Homoromantic - In love with same sex
    A transman is someone who was Designated Female At Birth but is now a man by virtue of his feelings (vice versa, then, for transwomen).

Also, every label can mean different things for different people!