1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is establishing a relationship with Christ after discovering sexuality possible

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Paulipocket10, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Paulipocket10

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So about a year ago I discovered that I might be gay/bisexual and now I have come to the point where I am fairly comfortable with it. I am not out to a lot of people but I'm just taking it step by step. Anyways, a little time after my discovery I started to explore Christianity and try to establish a relationship with Christ..I realize the timing of this is a little ironic and a little backwards to some people when discovering their sexuality haha but at the time I was dealing with a lot of difficult things in my life (unrelated to my sexuality) and I was looking for comfort and a sense of community.

However, given my sexual preferences I am struggling with my ability or capability to form this relationship. I realize that there are practicing gay Christians and that many Christians are accepting of the lgbt community, however I guess I am confused how I can establish my relationship with god or if it's possible to be "born again" if I will continue to participate in supposedly "sinful" homosexual acts. I didn't actually start to question this until tonight when I went to this young adults worship service for the first time. I had been going to a different one for a while but tried this one out with a close friend of mine that goes there. The pastor made a comment how he was preaching about Jesus in front of a gay bar, telling people he could give them salvation. He hinted at the fact that one of the guys was not a true Christian because of his lifestyle, even though he said he was a believer and went to church regularly. I don't think I believe this to be true, but it still makes me question a lot of things and I'm just curious about other people's experience with trying to establish their faith and how they feel about partaking in a lifestyle that is seen as "sinful" to some

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    My tip. Forget about it. Why?
    The Bible was written by human beings a looong time ago. You might say it's 50% about 'the eternal', the principles of life and death, good and evil, Christ and Lucifer. The other half, is pure politics. Political, immediate values in a society almost 2000 years old. Those political values have near-zero relevance now. Just like keeping black people as slaves is no longer a relevant value. And keeping slaves is like, 100 years old. Then imagine what people will think about slavery in 1700 years of continued civilization. It is completely irrelevant.
    So, as the Buddhists say, "That which needs to burn, let it burn."

If you wish to develop a relationship with God and Jesus, then do so. And yes, unfortunately, literalism is prevalent. But that has nothing to do with YOUR relationship to Christ, only your relation with other people.

Hope that helps!
    Take care <3 (*hug*)

3. Foz

Foz Guest

Personally I would take this moment to break free from the shackles of religion, the bible is humanity's first attempt at philosophy and is used by weak people desperately searching for a metaphor to distract them from the fact that life isn't very nice.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to tell you to "forget it" as you didn't create this thread to hear that. People are entitled to their opinions about Christianity, but I think you are looking for information and support about living as a gay Christian.

If you are making a conscious decision to come to Christ as an adult you have a lot more freedom to explore and choose than someone who has been indoctrinated by the habits and teachings of a particular church or faith group from a young age. So I would urge you to take your time and do some research before committing yourself to a particular Christian path.

I am a gay Christian in a long term committed relationship and I do not see any conflict between my faith and sexuality. The "clobber" verses that are often quoted from The Bible are used in isolation and taken well out of the original context, assuming a purely literal translation only. If you are new to the Christian faith I would recommend you take a much broader and deeper view of scripture, and always, always concentrate most chiefly on your personal relationship with God.

If you are looking for a church, find a welcoming and affirming church that allows you space to explore, question and reason, and enjoy fellowship with other Christians who will not scowl or lampoon you with harsh criticism for being gay.

If you would like support or more help/information you can send me a private message anytime. Just click on my profile. :slight_smile:

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Your feedback is very kind, probably better than mine. However, I think you misunderstood my input.
    With "forget it", I mean "let go" of those dark feelings, as they are derivatives of a 2000 year-old culture and not inherent to God or Christ.

And Foz, no anti-religious bigotry on here. Preferably don't respond to this, simply do not post more such text.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take this to heart. I don't need to add anymore I think. This is well said.

7. Paulipocket10

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you for the supportive messages. Its unfortunate that this church is not very supportive of gay people because I actually met some people there that I connected with there, and it seemed like a good place to meet other people my age. (I live in kind of a small city with not a lot to do or opportunities to meet new people so I was hoping this could be a supportive and fun community to get to know). One of my close friends as well goes here and was the one that invited me to come (I have not come out to her, but I don't think she will be judgmental toward me when I do and I'm not sure if she necessarily shares all the same beliefs of this church because it's not her main place of worship). However, after hearing the sermon and researching further after that the associated church (Calvary chapel) believes that homosexuality is unacceptable and does not support even domestic homosexual partnerships, I feel like it would be going against my values and dignity to go back, even though in general I had a fun time. As well, if I truly want to establish this relationship, I need to do it in a place and be around people who are supportive of my lifestyle.

8. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jesus never talked about sexuality, so I don't understand why it's an issue. The only reason it's an issue is because of bigots who have used religion as a cover for their irrationally hatred of gay people.

9. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not saying that you should forget about it completely either, because that's your business. But I'll take these couple moments to try and make you see that you are potentially throwing away your happiness for life, your willingness to find love, all for a belief. You "found" God and if you think he hates you for being who you are, then you have every right to say your farewells. But if you want to deprive yourself of what your heart desires and torture yourself, go ahead, I've done my part.

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was this really necessary? Take it somewhere else.

---------- Post added 11th Apr 2015 at 01:45 PM ----------

Exactly. I think once you find yourself in a place where others are accepting of your sexuality you won't feel so alone as a gay christian and like your living in some kind of sin because in all honestly you are living in a sin. God created in his image and you were born gay and god makes no mistakes about that.

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Okay, a general statement to (two?) people here. She was not asking for criticism of organized religion!

To Pauli: If you don't feel accepted in your local church, I guess the sensible thing is not going very often or maybe not at all, or try another one if there is one.
    I'm also a Christian (as well as a Taoist and Shintoist). Do feel free to wall me if you want to discuss God and Christ or anything like that! It might feel like it's not the same thing, but you can find a lot of Christian gay-friendly people online if you can't find them in your immediate community. As I understand, I'm quite lucky to live where I do. Last year's Pride parade, the Swedish church were right there in the parade, with openly gay people with cutesy churchy collars holding banners saying "The most beautiful thing of all is Love". If you're not as fortunate as me, living in a relatively tolerant community, then perhaps online is a good place to start. Don't give up though, if you really want to.
    Take care, honey, hope things work out <3

12. Paulipocket10

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you! Luckily I am actually pretty fortunate as well. I have a family that supports me and actually live in a very liberal area that is pretty gay friendly. There are a decent amount of gay friendly churches in my area, the one I went to last night just happened to not be one of them. So I guess I was actually just a little shocked to hear some of the things the pastor said, given that I rarely hear those kinda of things in the area I live in.

13. Ashleigh16

It is. I can get you some information and links that might help and be able to explain better than I can but I am one :slight_smile:

14. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've kissed and dated girls before, and I practice Christianity. My mom (a huge homophobe) says that one cannot be religious AND homosexual at the same time. It's one or the other. I of course disagreed with her, and it turned into a huge debate and I just kept the rest of my opinions to myself and walked away. No use arguing with someone who is so homophobic.

I feel that I have a close relationship with God. I don't attend church very often but I read my Bible and pray. I feel it's a personal choice whether to practice religion or not, so do what feels right to you and forget the haters.

15. photoguy93

Religion can be something personal to you. If you can't find a welcoming church, then I wouldn't go. I'd also stay far away from the born-again crowd. Maybe it's just past bad experiences, but I don't think that's the safest community to be a part of.

Christianity shouldn't be ruled by some crazy church. If you believe In God and want to follow that, you don't need a bunch of people telling you what to do at a church. Just my two cents!

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That depends on your definition on what it means to be born again. I consider myself born again and I am a gay christian. My boyfriend was born again and I know many other pro gay born again christians so please don't stereotype like that. I agree though that church is not a good place to worship your faith and it takes a personal journey to really understand your faith. Going to church for some people cause people to lack the ability to think for themselves.