1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a therapist, what should I look for in one in my case?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by matthewmatthew, Apr 13, 2015.

1. matthewmatthew

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello, I have been struggling depression (suicide throughts too) and anxiety since some long time ago, almost don't have esteem and also one family member try to suicide the past christmas and that really hit me.
    What kind of therapist should I look for? I'm really scared because I don't know what kind of therapist I should look for and make a wrong decision.

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a tough place to be, it really is. Recognizing that you need someone else to help you out is a great choice. In terms of what kind of a therapist to look for, sometimes you won't know if they're the right one for you until you get to know them, which would mean a couple sessions with them.

I believe many therapists will be able to help you in terms of dealing with depression and anxiety, so finding one for that specific reason shouldn't be too hard. As long as you have a non-judgmental and understanding therapist, that's what you'll need.

A therapist should be someone that you can talk to about anything, that sort of idea.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

Depression is the bread-and-butter of most therapists. However, one of the problems is that today, most therapists are focused on brief therapy that generally puts a band-aid on the real issue by covering it up with specific tools designed to mask the symptoms instead of getting at the underlying issues.

For LGBT people, shame, lack of belonging, and the self-worth issues that come with that are pretty core to depression. There can certainly be other contributing factors as well; family-of-origin issues such as lack of support and unconditional love play a big role.

Here's the rub: There are a lot of really crappy therapists out there, and it can be a challenge to find the ones that are really sharp and capable. Telling the difference, for someone without a lot of experience, isn't easy. Looking for someone whose style is eclectic, who practices existential, insight-based, or psychodynamic work but also has background in CBT... that would be a great starting point. If it were me, I'd specifically try and find a therapist deeply familiar with Brené Brown's work on shame and vulnerability because, for me and for pretty much all the therapists I know and work with, we've found it to be so core to the LGBT issues that it's hard to do really good work for people without a theoretical basis, and a lot of self-work by the therapist, in that work... which a lot of therapists don't have.

Will you be private pay, or will you need someone specific that is covered by your insurance? If you have some options that you've found (that have websites), you could PM me the links and I could at least tell you what I can see from what they say.

Also, you should be able to call and have a 15 minute phone consult with anyone you're considering. Talk to them... ask them about their approach... discuss their experience, background, experience with LGBT issues... get a real feel for how they sound and how you feel talking to them.

Don't be afraid to try three or four therapists to find the right one. Sometimes you luck out and the very first one is amazing, but often, it might take a couple of tries.

4. matthewmatthew

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hi, thanks a lot guys...I have found a therapist for depression and that kind of stuff. Your replies help me a lot :slight_smile: The next week I got the first date with the therapist, so hope everything would be fine...I'm really scared about telling a stranger about all my problems... any suggestion to not feel scared? :slight_smile:(*hug*)

5. matthewmatthew

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I will pay privately, so don't worry about it :slight_smile: thanks for your time I really appreciate it(*hug*) I'm not going to focus in LGBT issues, I'm more concerned about feeling worthless or suicidal because I don't find life interesting and that kind of things. I think my sexuality it's not the main problem in my life, and never have, I'M NOT OUT AS BISEXUAL TO ANYBODY but if somebody ask me what I think about guys I would say I can find some guys attractive, I'm not out but I'm not unsecure about it.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to be harsh here but your sexuality is, if not the root of the depression, worthlessness, and suicidal feelings, absolutely playing a major role.

The very fact you haven't told anyone indicates that there's deep shame there. If you didn't have shame, you wouldn't be uncomfortable telling people directly.

You need to be completely honest with your therapist. It will be a complete waste of your time to go to therapy if you aren't willing to do so, because the therapist's advice, recommendation, course of treatment, and every aspect of what s/he can do for you is reliant on understanding you and what you're going thorough, and failing to mention your sexual orientation is going to completely undermine that.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear. But it's the voice of experience. You don't have to blurt that out in the first session, but you should be prepared to tell him/her pretty quickly. Otherwise, as I said, you're not going to get the help you need, and you'll be wondering somewhere down the road why you're not feeling better.