1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Homophobia Online

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Serph990, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Serph990

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone! So I was wondering, how do you all deal with homophobia online? I come across quite a lot of homophobia in places like Youtube or forums and I do my very best in simply ignoring those instances but sometimes it's just enraging to see ignorant and bigoted people spew so much hatred and toxicity towards being Gay. I used to be an active engager in the past and would confront these people but I've since learned that it's just pointless and exhausting. The more you spend time trying to educate these folk the more they spew out hate, just like racists. Walking away is quite easy but in that split instance of unintentionally reading their hateful comments I feel so attacked and hated for simply being who I am. I often try to calm down by reminding myself that I'm actually not a reflection of their hateful words and that what they say is indicative of themselves but honestly like I said, in those split seconds it just feels like all the hatred of some random individual is poured towards me and I feel so angry. Anyone else feel the same way and if so, what do you do?

2. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing I do is avoid any comment section of any website. It's going to be full of anti-woman and anti-gay comments and all that other foolishness. For me I just try not to give a bigger platform for idiots. The worst thing to do is retaliate because it just gives them a bigger platform to spread hate.

3. Im Hazel

I always feel compelled to check the comments sections of videos. Usually, if it's a gaming or science video it's fine, but when I watch LGBT people's channels, it's just horrific. The transphobia/homophobia, the death threats, the bigotry, the ignorance! It makes me so mad. I often see people engage these haters. on smaller channels, the Youtubers themselves often do, but the hateful people never change. Once an idea is ingrained, it never leaves. I have been on some of the darker parts of the web and it's amazing that in places where 80% of people are LGBT in some way that there is so much hate towards other people in similar situations. I hate people sometimes, I really do. We need so much more done for our community in this world.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically this. Any comment section is usually filled with people who have nothing better to than spread rumors and hate and lack the ability to think for themselves.

5. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish there was a way to make people see how hateful they are being and to make them understand. I play a lot of videogames and I always hear people say "you're so gay!" "you fucking faggot!" "go suck a dick!" and similar comments. When I say that they are rude and ask them to choose other words they just say "fuck you don't tell us what to do!" and say them on purpose to be hateful. I don't know if saying anything to people online is really worth it because they don't care and they aren't embarrassed. In real life people might stop, but not online.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Usually I ignore it. I had to leave Tumblr because the lesbophobia there is waaayyy too intense (and committed by people of our own community) and it just wasn't good for my sanity. I choose to only surround myself by people with sane views.

7. Chibi Giraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i usually ignore it also. arguments are rarely won online, no matter what side; even if you have cold hard truth and proof on your side. it's just a waste of time really... every now and then i get riled up and go off on rant sprees, but i always feel foolish afterwards knowing that, most likely, no one's mind has changed...

8. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Over the years those homophobic comments have sounded so dumb and subhuman that I actually read with amusement.

9. Serph990

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes exactly! Those straight "dudebros" in gaming videos on youtube beyond grate on my nerves because they only aim to spew homophobic, sexist and racist thoughts that really piss me off.