1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First tattoo

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MyLittleWorld, Apr 15, 2015.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I decided to get my first tattoo. I want equality sign on my hand, and I was wondering what do you think is the best area??

[​IMG]

This one looks good, but I'm guessing it's a little bit too big. :confused:

2. lovely lesbian

Your body your choice I'm way too much of a wuss to get a tattoo

3. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems you have already decided on the hand. About the only place an equality sign would "look right" on the hand would be the palm or between the last knuckle and the wrist. Both will probably be quite painful. The palm has lots of nerve endings and the back of the hand has many shallow bones.

The thing that nobody really warns you about is that unless you get a tatoo in the center of your body, you will probably start wanting one in the same place on the other side to "even things out". Just a thought to keep in mind. ...

4. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can bear pain, but I am still trying to decide where I want it on my hand and how big I want it to be. This one looks pretty good too..

e0b04c11d42f00e6ba9431a0c9346ac6.jpg

Well, I think it won't be my last tattoo, so I guess it's not a bad thing?:slight_smile:

5. itsmary

I would get that tattooed in a finger
    I love tattoos <3

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think subtlety would be key here. The last thing you want is to have it covering your whole hand. Why not go for a small equality sign on your ring or middle finger? But at the end of the day, it's up to you to make that call. You can also ask the tattoo artist where he/she thinks is the best place on the hand to put something like that.

I have three tattoos and right after I got my third one (18th January), I immediately wanted to get another. I'm just not sure exactly what to get, but something small, on my ring finger (Yes, this might make me a little bias about placement :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Go with what your heart is telling you. If you're stuck between two choices, flip a coin. It may sound silly, but it works. Because once that coin is up in the air, you already know what you're hoping the outcome would be, so go with that choice.

Have fun with your first tattoo, it really is addictive! :thumbsup:

7. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured I don't want it to be very big, so I think I know how I want it. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I heard it's addictive, but I don't mind. :icon_wink

8. Not sure where you are but i know in uk a lot of the tattoo studios dont tattoo your hands or feet unless yoire heavily tattooed. Cuz they dont stay that well they fade quicker than elsewhere (apparently) but most tattooes will fade over years and years anyway.so migbt wanna ask around shops first to see if they will tatt your hands. Agree with some others it would look nice on your finger :slight_smile:

Ruby Dragon likes this.
  9. sehnsucht

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think if you want it on your hand, get it there :slight_smile: and if you're not sure about the size, I'd talk to the tattoo artist and see what he/she suggests. I know I always trust my tattoo artist when she gives any advice about what she thinks will look better. Trust them, they know what they're doing and they'll work with you to make sure you're happy :slight_smile: Good luck!

10. fragileflame

I would think if you wanted it on your hand, the wrist or your finger would be the cutest place, but both are super sensitive areas so it would be very painful!

11. Cesar123

I think it would look really nice on your wrist...

12. Really

Get your ballpoint pen and try out your different choices. :slight_smile:

Ruby Dragon likes this.
  13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thought: I know several people who have gotten tattoos on their hands (or neck, or other places difficult to conceal) and been very, very unhappy with their decisions later on... or unhappy that people judged them, or that they couldn't get certain types of jobs where you have to be able to cover up tattoos... or any of a dozen other reasons.

I just want to point out these things if you haven't carefully thought them through. It seems most people who do get hand or other hard-to-conceal tattoos either don't think things through, or convince themselves it will be fine... and then are later very unhappy. Obviously it's your choice, just want to throw that out there.

14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have three Tattoos. Each one has a very personal and significant meaning to me. One on my back, one on my shoulder and one on my calf. When I am working, no one would be distracted from seeing them. On the weekends when I am wearing casual clothes, tank top, shorts, etc, they can all be seen by whomever is around me.

My next tattoo will be a full sleeve - still trying to figure out what to get. But even with a full sleeve, during the work week, it is covered, and on the weekends can be seen.

I think tattoos are great and very personal. I got them for me, not for the rest of the world. But for the times when I do not mind the world seeing them, they can. For the times that I would rather not be a distraction, the placement works for that as well.

15. quietshadow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Most professional artists will not tattoo your hands or even face unless you have many other tattoos, its a right of passage. Plus the skin on your hands sheds off much more frequently and it will fade much faster and look patchy often. Not saying it will happen, but more likely it won't look as good down the road, and professional artists won't tattoo your hands willingly. Small shops will do it if its really what you want and have weighed the options.

16. EmH25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i love tattoos maybe draw on your hand with pen to test out location

17. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing as this thread is nearly 3 years old, you've probably already gotten your tattoo. Where did you choose to have it done on your hand? And have you gotten any more after?