1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 years My GF still in closet I need advice PLS.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by aikz88, Apr 17, 2015.

1. aikz88

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'M 26 Born May Of 1988. She's 24. Born October of 1990.We have been together for 5 years. March 3 is our Anniversary. I don't know where to start or how. So, I will just pour my heart out on here.

First off, I love her with all of me. I wouldnt have stayed 5 years in the closet with her. The pains of being hidden. The pains of being shut back in that closet again. I sacrificed my feelings because I understand that her being in the closet is personal and has nothing to do with me or us. I guess now the problem is not a matter of how many more years I can wait. The question I been finding myself questioning is If all this is worth it.

I was not happy being hidden. Well, who would be? There are times her family calls and she tells me to shush so they dont hear me. Before it didnt affect me. But now I guess its hitting me deep. That its ruining an inner peace of my soul. I find myself so lonely and so sad. Recounting the times I miss those happy moments with my grandmother. She passed away a 2 years ago. And it doesnr even feel it was that long ago. It feels like it was this year.

My grandmother always told me, "As long as she's kind to you." Amd it makes me look at my relationship in this situation she and I are in. I aks myself, "Would my grandmother be happy with this?"

My girlfriend graduated BSN in Nursing with full honors. Im a security officer at a mall. Our lives are so different. We hardly have time to make time for each other. I am slowly feeling numb to missing her, wanting her. I told her Im slowly losing passion for us and for her.

She promised me that once she graduates it will be different for us. And I felt like ever since she graduated she forgot me. She forgot me...the one essential person that helped her achieve or was an influential positive person to achieve how she achieved what she acheived. I feel used.

She hides me all the time. And when its just us she doesnt feel comfortable holding my hand. Only when people are not looking. I understand her being in a closet is personal. And I will not force her to come out. I respect her very much. I respect and love what we built together. Its just unfortunate that Im slowly realizing this is a dead end relationship.

We are getting older. And Im in that point in my life I want to marry. I want to be madly in love. Come home to a wife after a long days work. Have dinner with family and friends who accepts us.

I love her but I dont think... I love her enough anymore to sacrifice, to wait, to endure the pains of all that, of all this, FOR just this.

I guess my need of help is:
    1. Am I being selfish if I break up with her?
    2.Would I be doing the right thing for BOTH of us?
    3. Would breaking up with her SAVE at least the respect we have for each other?
    4. Will I ever know if Im worth a risk in her life? Because being hidden truly made an affect on me. It makes me feel like im not worth to share or worth the fight.
    5. Will I ever get married lol.. Gosh I feel like a little kid asking the stars at night for a wish come true. lol

Other people have issues with cheating, drinking too much, or on drugs. Etc. Im neither any. Im just a simple asian person who wants to fall in love with a woman that is set on goals whose ambitious whose determined witty loves to laugh and friendly and open and adventurous, decent, and family oriented. Oh and the list goes on. Lol

Anyway if you read this Thanx ..

2. YeahpIdk

Just gonna put my two cents in, even though I don't have much practice in this area as of yet. I just recently (last year) had my, fell-for-a-girl-guess-I'm-not-straight, moment. But, I think your concerns and thoughts are valid. From the stand point of someone who's still "in the closet," at this point. It's mostly because there's no reason for me to be out, I can understand how scary it is. When I was going through the motions with my crush, I was very up and down. If we were somewhere we most likely weren't going to bump into anyone (to my own knowledge - she didn't care), we'd hold hands or act flirty in public. However, there were moments I became distant because I was like, holy shit, I like this GIRL and I'm holding this GIRL'S hand and liking it and I'm in public being head over heels like a 12 year old with some GIRL. And freak out a little (on the inside) and back off or stand apart. If I was in front of people I knew with her, I'd try to act as tame as possible even though I knew I was beaming emotions straight at her. I even had to be tame with her, because I didn't want her to know that I was so, so into her. I was partially in denial and kept telling myself that things we were doing were still "friendly" and not a big deal, but I'd go home analyzing the hell out of everything/fantasizing about our beautiful future life together.

My point is, I know what it feels like to want to hide from everyone. Society sucks, and it's not fair that we even have to question who we fall in love with because of what others will think, but it's always there. However, I was so into her that, well, I did hold hands with her and be flirty in public. And if I would have gotten to be with her, or she felt the same about me and wanted to take it further, I was so intensely into her that I probably would have just been like -- hey fam, hey friends, you see this hot chick? Yeah, she's mine. No need for applause. On the other hand, it didn't go that way, so I can't say for sure that I wouldn't have been like, we need to hide this for a bit. I actually also feel like that would have happened, as well. Maybe not for long, but, well, obviously it's very complicated, and so, maybe it's very complicated for your love.

Is she completely confident that she's a lesbian? Is she still going back and fourth with herself? Has she just become too comfortable in the closet? Either way, I think you need to examine your relationship for yourself, and for her, but more for you because you're obviously not happy. I think the number one trait of a healthy relationship is having very open and honest communication, so you really need to talk to her and go deep into what she's thinking and feeling in regard to being out.

She's obviously not straight because she's with you, so it's gotta be a huge battle within herself at this point. I mean, it's FIVE YEARS. That's a long time, but I can see the comfort of having your relationship and eating your cake in the closet, too. Maybe suggest she go to therapy to help herself come to terms with who she is so she can come out. Not because it's important to tell the world and everyone that you're not straight. That's not the point. But it is important to live a full life, and if you're not going out and acting like any old couple would out in public, then it's not a full life, and I understand why you feel like something is missing. You just want to be who you are. I hope things work out because it sounds like you're very lucky to have someone you love so much and who loves you. But I think it's time to make her face the music. It's not selfish to want the life that you want, it's not selfish that she's afraid to be out about herself; it's no one's fault here. I just think you need to really talk to her and possibly seek professional help since she's so stuck.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. scouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Might be time for an open discussion about where you both want to be in the coming future. Part of making a relationship work long term is having similar goals for the future, being on the same page as each other. You're thinking about marriage and sharing your life with someone openly. Is she? If she wants similar things to you, and being in the closet is stopping her doing this, then is there a way to make progress on this, does she want to go down that route. It is obviously her choice here but it's important to recognise the sacrifice required on your part should you choose to stay. It's important for both of you that you're open about what you can and can't sacrifice anymore.

#3 scouse, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. aikz88

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I thank you for replying. Im really lost as to what is the right thing to do. I did let her know that we need to talk in person. Its been over a week we havent text or called. Except asking her to let me know when shes available to talk.

To better understand her situation. It starts first with where she come from. Her family is strictly christian. She was brought up very strict. And expectations from her family are very high toward her. Her family are all doctors. So they are not fully closed with the idea of genetics as to why lesbians or gays are this and that. To them its scientific. And they are indenial of her not having a boyfriend for 5 years being in her career well off. Shes mention to me that they have an idea shes and I are together. But she told me she doesnt need to say anything or be the first to speak in regards to opening up truths of our relationship or her or me.

Ive asked her opinion of she would consider us marrying. She said Why do that when being gay is a sin. Obviously her beliefs are very different. Im actually lost as to what does she want from this relationship. I know she loves me. But my concern is "if a person is gay and cant come out because of personal reasons I can understand. But if a person is in the closet and comfortable in it. Then that means I need to be comfortable in it for the relationship to work." And that is what im so confused as to is this worth it?

---------- Post added 17th Apr 2015 at 05:13 PM ----------

Thank you for the reply. The truth is there was a time....we had the same exact goals and future plans. But then because of her parents high expectations of her shes grown to have high expectations of me. Which means career wise. Im still in the process of improving myself in education while working. Its tough as it is already. Yet, she always tells me she doesnt want her family to judge me. Like "of all people you choose a woman to love and the woman is overweight and making how much?" I just dont know what to do.

5. YeahpIdk

That's a lot to handle, the religious aspect. I mean, I'm someone who can't wrap my head around that, because I'm not very religious. I also can't stand by something that makes people feel bad about something that's natural...so, that's going to be tough for you two. And then her parents being doctors, well, then they should understand a little better - though I know that science can't really explain that. When I was first questioning (I'm very into biology), just because I'm very curious about human nature and think deeply about that kind of stuff, I felt like homosexuality (in a purely scientific way) didn't make much sense because we're here to reproduce, therefore it's a little flawed that we can become attracted to a same-sex partner since there's no way to reproduce with each other, which sucks so much, by the way. Either way, sexuality is sexuality and people aren't just bodies, they're chemicals and personalities and whatever, and in that respect, it's just human nature to love whoever you love because it's who you're drawn to. Doctors should be able to be a little more open-minded, but hey, society :help:.

And not talking for a week but being in a five year relationship? Eep. Maybe you need to think about how worth it the situation is to you overall. Is it that important to her since she's not even trying to get in touch with you? I don't know... you need to think about your happiness even though you love her. And no, I don't think you should have to be in the closet with her, I really say you guys should go for couples therapy or something.