1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still have homophobic thoughts

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LesbianThrasher, Apr 18, 2015.

1. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I'm still having issues with my homophobia that just seems to resurface every now and then and I don't know what to do about it. It's practically been drilled into my mind since I don't know when and over the years I've been learning to get over it but the thoughts keep coming back and I just don't know if I'll ever get it out of my head. This all might seem silly but I guess I'm just confused right now and so I'm just looking for any opinions on this.

2. TeaCupQueer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    These could be intrusive thoughts. Intrusive thoughts ate unwanted and disturbing thoughts that you think just because you're afraid to think them. I have intrusive thoughts too and it turned out I have OCD SO you might wanna see a doctor about it.

3. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I keep getting those too, and I'm still working up my way to shift them off my mind and it doesn't help that where i live people are strongly homophobic.

4. Theron

I definitely struggled with the same issue for a long time. Not towards others, but towards myself, that it was wrong and disgusting what I felt. If your school has an LGBT+ group, join it. If you're not out, just say you're an ally until you can feel comfortable admitting you're a lesbian to others.

Once you spend more time around others whom you know to be gay, it may help with those thoughts and feelings because you can begin to associate good things and good people with it. Or even find straight friends who are very supportive. One of my closest online friends has talked me through more than one existential crisis. She's done a lot for me to remind me that I am a good person, that I love my husband, and that he loves me.