1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think I should join my Community College's QSA

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Eye Shine, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Eye Shine

In high school I regretted not joining my high school's GSA because I was hesitant because that was when I was questioning. That is something I regret and really wished I would have joined.

Now I am almost done with my first year of community college and I found out that our school has a QSA. I know for a fact I will join my QSA at my transfer school CSUF, but I'm not sure if I should try to join m community college's QSA for this last year before I transfer.
    What do you think? Should I join my community college's QSA if time permits me (I work) or should I wait till I transfer to join my transfer college's QSA?

2. Lyana

If you regret not doing it in high school, you should definitely do it now! Even if it's only for one year. Hell, even if it were only for a month I'd do it. What do you have to lose? It will be a cool experience, an opportunity to meet new people and get involved in some stuff.

I don't know how your QSA is organized, but it must be possible to attend one or two meetings without committing to anything. If I were you, I would do that and if you enjoy it/are interested in their other activities, then you can join.

I go to my campus' LGBT group's meetings (I think technically it's a QSA, but I doubt anyone straight ever goes). I started maybe back in December, and it's allowed me to meet people I'd never have met otherwise (studying different subjects in different universities in different years), and have very interesting queer-related (and unrelated) conversations.
    I also went to a couple meetings on a campus in Scotland (their LGBT group is way more active than ours) and that was amazing, loads of fun -- I went in not knowing anyone and came out having hit it off with several people.
    Overall, I doubt it's going to be anything but a positive experience, so why not?

3. Eye Shine

I think you're right! I guess I was just thinking the amount of time I have at community college I shouldn't consider, but I believe you are right when you say time is irrelevant! Thanks for the advice! Now hopefully I can get my schedule wrapped on around it.