1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too old for youth groups, too young for meetup.com?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by glencoco, Apr 19, 2015.

1. glencoco

Hi everyone. I've been out to just about everyone for a little over a month. It feels great to be out, it really does, but I feel so disconnected from the queer community. I'd really like to date. I'd really like to make queer friends to connect with and go out and meet someone maybe. I'm 22 years old and I'm not quite sure where to look anymore.

I'm in college and about to graduate and I really wish I could have joined campus clubs and taken advantage of the resources here. There's literally 2 weeks of classes left so it feels strange to go to a club meeting at this point in the year.

I've looked into meetup.com and all of the LGBT groups in my area seem to be geared towards 35+ people, and those geared for younger people are inactive.

I haven't hit up local community centers, but based on the information online it seems like a lot of it is geared towards 13-18 year olds.

Online dating websites have been a bust. I've messaged several girls and have yet to receive a response from anyone.

I just feel like I've hit a wall. I can't exactly get my straight friends to go out to a gay bar with me and I don't think I'd feel comfortable going alone. It's just all been very frustrating. Any advice?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Age is just a number. Old people young people middle aged there is all youth groups for them. Also plenty of 18 y/o go to meetup.com.

3. Sweetberry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh girl, yes! haha I feel you- on every single one of these points! Minus the being out thing.
    I guess I don't have much advice beyond:EC has some great people and I'm sure you can find other people here looking for network (like me! I mean, over 100 ppl viewed my thread about making friends/resources to feel more connected...and two people gave advice. haha).Also I think for school, even though you're graduating- maybe they do stuff over summer? Or something will lead to "Hey we have this function next month" OR EVEN "Hey lets head to a gaybar- i know some good spots." Maybe that last one was far-fetched, buuut yeah.

I wish my friends would go to a gay bar with me too. The struggle is real.

(!)