1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feel uncomfortable wearing a dress to prom

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ilovesg, Apr 20, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I'm a senior in high school and my prom is in like 2 weeks. I wasn't planning on going because I never go to things like that but people keep telling me I should go. The problem is that I feel uncomfortable wearing dresses but at the same time I'm not confident enough to wear pants. I don't even know if I should go in the first place because I'm not very social and I might not even have fun. My friend who is a boy is wearing a dress so he thinks I should wear pants but I don't know if the school will even allow it. I also don't want to be the weird lesbian wearing boy clothes. I don't think anyone would really care but people at school don't really know I'm gay and that would kind of make it obvious. I don't have the confidence to pull it off and I'm just sad :frowning2: also my mom and sister would make fun of me for not wearing a dress. I don't know what to do

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lesbian I knew went to prom in a suit and looked great. Usually girls look better in suits than guys do in dresses (Jaden Smith notwithstanding, he was actually pretty cute :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) so go for it! I guarantee you'll look and feel good.

I don't even care for dancing but went to a few school events. It's less for what it is than getting to see people in a special occasion and remembering it fondly. You'll kick yourself later on if you don't.

3. Really

Hey there! You should wear what you want. I'm sure you could look very sharp in a cool pant outfit. I'm pretty sure the pants won't give away your lesbian-ness if they did, the rest of us wouldn't be having such a hard time figuring each other out. :]

If your mom and sister make fun of you, which I hope they don't, try to take the high road and just say, "Thanks. I like it too." Don't let them bait you.

4. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thank you for the replies!! one thing that I'm worried about that I forgot to mention is that I'm not out to my family yet and wearing pants to prom would definitely make them ask me. I'm not really ready to tell them yet but at the same time maybe it's time for me to tell them?? I can't really be myself 100% until them and honestly I don't really know what I'm waiting for. I could maybe just go to after prom which isn't as formal. ugh decisions decisions lol

5. Really

If you don't want to come out on this occasion, you can just say you're wearing pants because you're just being you, not following everyone else just because it's traditional. You are your own person. Don't they want you to be creative?

If anyone has a problem, you can remind them that you're wearing pants not committing crimes.