1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being alone

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by potofsoup, Apr 23, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Do you think some unfortunate people are meant to be alone in life forever ? Without experiencing any relationship or having a partner?

I am wondering at times whether that is the bitter truth of my life. And that its futile that I'm trying to find a partner.

2. nohalos

I've always thought that some people may not find someone for them as in a partner in life, but are not alone. They can live through the company of friends, family, just plain people who love them unconditionally.

I've been plagued by the same thought of being alone, but I try to be as optimistic as I can. :slight_smile:

All I can do right now is to give you lots of hugs. :slight_smile: (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

3. June Cleaver

Stop "trying" as this does not work! Figure out that you are whole right now, and as a well balanced whole person you will attract other like people. It may sound crazy, but it's true. Fill the void with activities, god, whatever is best for you! June

4. C P

C P

Yes, I do feel that some people are 'meant' to be alone in life, myself being one of them. It doesn't have to be unfortunate though, as I'm perfectly content with the idea.

The fact that you have been 'trying' though...it just seems you haven't had much luck. I think June made a good point with this - it could be 'trying' that is throwing things off; it may be that you're exhausting yourself by putting too much of your energy and time into it instead of balancing out your efforts and just living life.

You don't seem to be for the 'lone ranger life' though, so don't give up in thought just yet.

5. Vesper

I don't believe that anyone is "meant" to be alone. Factors can collude to cause people to struggle to find life partners despite their best efforts, or some may be content to remain single if that's where the circumstances lead them, or some may even purposefully steer their lives in the direction of remaining single.

I agree with C P and June Cleaver in that it may help for you to divert some of the energy you've spent on this task to others, because it has clearly been draining on you in more ways than one. It's a bad idea to let this affect the other areas of your life and pull your quality of life down. It may be a good idea to participate in group activities (e.g. anime club, art group, writing group) since you'll easily find others who share your interests.

Another way of looking at it is through the lens of expectations. By devoting a lot of energy to finding a partner, you are expecting results, but this is not one of those areas in which hard work necessarily bears fruit quickly. The nature of human relationships is not that straightforward, as so many factors that contribute to success are not in your control. The takeaway is to not take a lack of results to mean that you somehow aren't meant to find love.

Sorry for rambling...

6. 404dotexe

I'm 17 myself, still questioning my sexuality, but never had a relationship or even any sign of anyone 'liking' me. I understand the feeling, I would love someone to just hold in my arms and know he feels the same way, but unfortunately I know it takes time.

Just remember, the best things in life take time *hugs* someone is out there for you, who will love you!

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't believe anyone is meant to be alone. Some people choose to not have relationships though, and that's fine.

One thing to keep in mind about wanting a relationship is it helps if you try to talk to people and keep a positive confident outlook. I wouldn't even act like you want a relationship. People are generally turned off by desperate attitudes and when people start to view relationships as 'optional', they attract more people.

8. BornCoward

BornCoward Guest

Perhaps you shouldn't be trying to search for a partner, you might just have to wait for the right person to come along. Or if you do search don't concentrate all your time and effort on it or you'll become frustrated.

I wish you the best on finding someone though :slight_smile: