1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone from the Caribbean/ Latin America region.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Chromedome, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How's the state of the gay and lesbian rights in your country, the general attitude of society and of the gay community there? Don't need any personal details. :icon_wink

2. SpiritEnergy

Mmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................................

From Puerto Rico............ No adoptions.... No marriage.... People tend to be really homophobic, but they are evolving. If a gay teen is "accidentally" kill people will jump around saying it's hate crime. Bulling is disappearing. Oh!!! And the current governor said that they will legalize same-sex marriage!!!!!!!!!!!! PROGREESSSSS!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

3. hispanicninja9

Well, in Argentina same sex marriage is allowed and I think they are able to adopt legally(I'm not sure). People are divided. We have a big conservative sector who is still very catholic and thinks that homosexuality is wrong, and this includes people from all high, middle and low social classes. Now I feel like the common position when it comes to middle-class is starting to be "gay is ok but not in my yard". They tend to be supportive in general terms but if their son or daughter comes out they are capable of aweful things such as kicking him/her out, as well as all the other conducts we read everyday on this forum. Hope it made it clear.

4. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    In Brazil a Supreme Court decision allows same sex marriage, but last year we elected very conservative Legislative candidates. I'm afraid there'll be a retrocession in the future, since there is a lot of prejudice among us, even around those who claim they're not religious.

5. mag3221

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm from the English Caribbean, so I can't say for the Spanish, French or Dutch Islands/Countries.
    Gays don't have any rights here; no pride parades, no legal marriage, no adoptions. Gay relationships tend to be off the grid and kept in secret. People tend to be rather homophobic however the younger people are a bit more open minded since it's becoming more tolerated in the US. As with Argentine post above, most people are okish with it once it's 'not in my backyard'.
    You can't hold hands in public, or kiss. If you're a male and very effeminate you will be ridiculed, same with a woman.
    It's more tolerated in the upper classes, but as with anywhere else, people with money can get away with anything.
    Many people are religious and although secularization is creeping in religion still plays a big role here. However to me it's very hypocritical since many non religious things are accepted here but when it comes to gay rights suddenly everyone is religious. Religious boards carry a lot of political and financial power therefore would staunchly oppose anything pro gay.
    In my island, most people are okish with it once you don't flaunt it publicly or shove it down people's throats. What you do privately is your own business. However the atmosphere is still very homophobic; gay insults are common language, gays are laughed at and ridiculed etc. I'm totally straight acting and people insult gays all the time around me not knowing i'm secretly gay. Both religious and non religious people oppose gays. Men due to societal pressure, tradition etc marry women and normally have men on the outside.There are gay clubs; however the population of my country is very small so basically everyone knows each other. My island is also probably the most liberal, so i cant even imagine how it is in other islands.
    Jamaica in particular is especially horrible for gays. They're literally killed on the streets while people cheer.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could of just not posted, same effect as if you said no.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2015 at 09:56 PM ----------

Same here.

8. TheAnon32

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Trinidad there is no marriage and in fact it is illegal to be gay here (not really enforced). The current government hints they may lift it after they legalize weed but that in my opinion it is unlikely because the general frame of thinking is homophobic here and in this election year they would promise anything to stay in power. Gays stay underground or secluded to the one gay bar which took a long time to open due to "unmet regulations". Religeon also plays a big role in the country with its strong catholic, Muslim, Hindu, ect. roots.That is why i stay in the closet for now until i get out.

#8 TheAnon32, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  9. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm from there too.