1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every step is difficult

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by EIT, Apr 24, 2015.

1. EIT

EIT

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So about 3 months ago I told my family that I was "thinking about my sexual orientation". I have not committed either way and nor will I be prepared to in the near future. I think the goal for this is something like September. Anyways,
    I started talking to one of my brothers friends, who I know to be gay. I told him fairly early on in our friendship because I thought, hey what the hell, I might as well be upfront about this because it will be easier to say now, and it's not like he's going to take it badly.
    We've been texting back and forth, and have skyped recently. He lives basically on the other side of the country as me.
    The scary bit is that I think he likes me, and I'm absolutely terrified about taking this next step. He seems like a great guy, he's hilarious, into the same kind of stuff as me.
    He's thinking about coming to school much closer to me for a masters course. My brother caught wind of this because they were talking about it as well I guess. My brother then sent me a text saying hey "you know that he's thinking about coming to take his course at your school :wink: " which made me even more nervous.
    I should be happy that my family is supportive of me, but it's filling me with angst. how do you get used to the idea of people knowing, and how about the idea of dating? I'm still not even comfortable with myself... I'm honestly a bit lost.
    It's like I've finally gone through one door, deciding to move forward, only to be presented with a row of doors and more confusion/choices/possible courses of action.
    I wish I saw coming out as others do, with an air of simplicity, and they simply tell everyone all at once, but I just can't see that happening in my case.
    Help would be appreciated.
    :confused:

2. Lindsey23

So, you think he likes you but do you like him? If you do I think you should go for it and who cares what anyone else thinks? I know you aren't completely comfortable yet but I think the only way to get comfortable is to get out there and date. Let things happen naturally and don't over think it. Coming out isn't simple, it's scary. But your true friends won't care. And the friends that do care will probably get over it with time. It's far better to get out there and experience life than regret not doing it years from now.