1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm seeing a therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by itsmary, Apr 26, 2015.

1. itsmary

Mom will talk about it with doctor tomorrow and hopefully I'll see a therapist by next week. I hope this helps. I'm not really "that" bad but I feel that I have a little anxiety over a few things. Anyway I have made progress by myself. When I first posted here I was a lost soul. Now I have better things in mind but still have shitty days and dark thoughts...

Do you think seeing a therapist will help? Did it help you?

Thanks for reading

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well done you!

its very useful to be in a private space
    where your parents are banned !!

and theres someone there to guide a conversation
    ask you questions you may not have thought of
    to listen to you
    who will keep things confidential

so, yes I would say you are doing a great thing
    and it could help you a huge amount
    i wish you luck!!

3. campervankid

Good for you :slight_smile:

I see a counsellor which im pretty sure is the same as a therapist, and it 100% helps me. even if you don't think your current problems are too huge, it is always good to try and sort them so they cant get any bigger.

I hope it helps you.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk any time (I haven't been on ec in ages so now I need some friends :slight_smile:)

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing to remember is you are always in the drivers seat. The counselor is there to guide you on your journey so use them that way and you will get the best results. Don't make the mistake I did and enter the room with a "fix me" mentality. That just wastes time (and money). I wish you well.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as your therapist is competent it's a really good thing. Its helped me through a number of things over the yeast

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I talked to a counselor/therapist (actually multiple) at my university who really helped me get a perspective on what choices are available, especially questioning things I have been doing.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That, pretty much.

For me, personally, therapy did very little for me. But a good deal of the reason for that is, I'm not exactly the personality type that does well with them. Sure, we'd discuss things, but it was mostly their life or the world in general, and we'd play Chess a few times.

It's important to know, you control a great deal of how the sessions go. While you shouldn't have to share something you aren't ready to, you do need to know, if you want to get to the bottom of something, you will have to reveal some things. It's like trying to paint a picture with missing colors.

But, you can choose when you share something. Remember that.

It may take some time to get comfortable with a therapist, after all, it's pretty much a certified stranger. If you don't feel comfortable after a few visits, maybe request a change. Just try and make something of this opportunity, even if you feel good in your life, because there's always many layers we leave unpeeled.

8. EIT

EIT

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey,
    I'm a pretty grounded person and have never had anything like depression or anxiety. By all accounts my mental health is 100% but I'm still seeing a therapist to help me along the process of realizing who I really am, and to begin to accept myself, which is turning out to be very difficult.
    Therapy isn't just for people who are crazy or depressed or lonely. Therapy is the ability to tell someone anything without being judged and to help you draw conclusions about your actions, to help you understand your thoughts, and to help you work through any issues you might have.
    I feel like there are very few people in this world who don't have some kind of problem they deal with on a daily basis. Whether it's poor body image, financial anxiety, trouble parenting your children, someone with a really short temper. It can really be anything.

If you are dealing with something you would consider a life changing decision or a problem that you just can't seem to fix, a well grounded therapist is an excellent tool.

9. itsmary

Thank you all for your messages :slight_smile:

This encourages me even more to see a therapist. I know that I'm the one who's gonna make the change but we sometimes need a little help from a stranger :slight_smile: I'm looking forward to meeting him/her.