1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a mistake, feeling extremely upset about it

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jax12, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, when I do/say something wrong, or when people give me heck, I immediately shut down and I get really nervous and scared. It's like when things escalate so quickly, I immediately back off like I'm scared.

All my life I've been yelled at by my parents and their faces in front of mine to show "who's boss" kind of a deal. Could this have something to do with it?

For example, let's say I keep bugging someone and then they just explode at my face. Obviously it was my mistake for bugging them, but it's at the very moment they rant/explode that shuts me down. I get emotional and scared.

What gives?

2. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You aren't the only one. When someone gets mad at me I assume they will never talk to me again and or if I let them see me get upset they may change their mind that they like me.

I think it could have to do with your experience with your parents, however best thing that would help is to see a counselor.

I can relate I grew up with a step father who would give me the silent treatment everytime he was upset with me etc. Now when there is conflict with someone its strange when someone wants to talk it out because I am used to someone just shutting me out. However, I have to admit that I have learned the nasty habit of the silent treatment which I am working on changing. I also learned behaviors such as avoiding people I like and or have a conflict with. Counselor says this has to do alot with what I saw as a child....I avoid as a defense mechanism.

Counseling has helped me most with this.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im seeing a therapist right now and I agree that it helps. However we haven't touched on the issue yet so maybe that's why I'm still struggling. Thanks for the reply.

4. CyclingFan

I've dealt with this for my whole life. I've done some therapy that has helped. And I try to limit other stressors or at least be aware of them when they are present and something like this comes up. I try when possible to let them know that if like to think over what they said and maybe respond the next day, but that can be hard in some situations with authority figures.

If I were to sum up a few things that have helped me start to get better about it they'd be 1) knowing that that's what's happening 2) not feeling so guilty/shamed/bad about it.

Op, are you still living with your parents?

5. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

It is very reasonable to assume that, and it would be something to talk to your therapist about. From the root, verbal conflict is creating a flight or fight response in you, your reaction is to take your flight inwards. You will need to learn better coping mechanisms for dealing with this in a healthy way. (&&& advice from my therapist to me.) :smilewave

I've always been the same way, I'm getting better at dealing with conflict and anxiety. Therapy definitely is helping with that.

6. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, your parents authoritative approach toward your upbringing could definitely have influenced your overal reaction to aggressive behavior from others. Your submissiveness is also a likely stimulant for bullying as they lean that you will just "take it" without defending yourself.

Definitely bring this up with your therapist, it is a serious problem and there are some very useful techniques to manage it.